Litterbox Accessories

burblechat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! It's time to remove the litter box and buy a new one. I know we're suppose to do it yearly but it has slipped my mind so it's long overdue. My question is about getting a new scooper. I'm not sure what kind works best for litter such as Smartcat and Littermaid. I'd love some recommendations please! TIA!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had no idea I was supposed to get new boxes yearly. I normally just use the same one for the life of the cat. Weekly scrubbings seemed to keep it in really good shape.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any scoop works, really. Maybe not the cheap plastic ones though. You don't even need to use a litter specific scoop. I use a metal slotted kitchen ladle / skimmer from the dollar store. It looks like this:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my metal one at the grocery store. Oldest saw me using it and asked why I was using a spatula to scoop cat poop. 🤣

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

burblechat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any scoop works, really. Maybe not the cheap plastic ones though. You don't even need to use a litter specific scoop. I use a metal slotted kitchen ladle / skimmer from the dollar store. It looks like this:

Is plastic scoops bad? And this is such a unique idea, at least for me lol

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is plastic scoops bad? And this is such a unique idea, at least for me lol

Plastic scoops aren't bad per se. Some are just really flimsy and cheap and may break if you try to remove clumps stuck to the litter box bottom. Metal scoops are sturdier and easier to clean and sanitize as needed. A cheap-o metal kitchen skimmer or similar will work jsut as well as a pricey litter scoop from the pet store.