litter trouble

crowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello.

I have an 8yo cat who seems to be having litter trouble. Today she was vocalizing a lot and only deposited a small poop. She stayed in the box longer than what came out would've needed. There also seemed to be a brown secretion from her rear, which I confirmed with a kleenex. Is this common, would she just need anal glands expressed?

I ask because I have noticed her drinking from the water fountain more frequently. There was also a urine clump that came out crumbled rather than one large lump in the litter early this week after I had not been able to clean the box as frequently as normal.

She was happy to play after the small poop meowing fest this morning, but she was obviously still in mild discomfort.

Her diet is primarily raw. I buy carnivora elk and bison patties, as she only likes red meats. http://www.carnivora.ca/index.cfm

She has also been given almo wet cans of various variety, except in the past half month as I forgot to purchase more last store visit.
This is given with some orijen kibble whenever I am not around, or to play with in a food dispenser. http://www.orijen.ca/products/cat-food/dry-cat-food/regional-red/

Currently between 13-14lbs. She has always been overweight, hence my diet inclusion here. The raw swap was when she was 20lb, around 3 years ago.

Will keep an eye on the situation, but would like preliminary impressions as the vet is closed today.

Thanks,

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she's may be impacted the small poops are a clue. The vet will need to check to see if she's impacted it may be just constipated or that the glands need to be expressed but it needs a check very soon. I don't think it's an emergency that needs attention right now today.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She definitely is in distress and needs to see the vet sooner rather than later.  I'd even suggest the ER vet today if at all possible. 

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the same thing happen over the weekend with my cat. Maybe I shouldn't have waited...it was the anal glands....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. An update to this.

I think the litter vocalization was a coincidence. She probably did meow because she had trouble expressing her glands, but this was likely solved before I noticed.

Took her to the vet last Tuesday. She had a mouth full of resorptive lesions and had already lost at least one tooth to it naturally. This was probably the real case of the meowing and lack of eating. Her blood work came back good.

She is booked in this Tuesday to have a minimum of three teeth pulled. She may need more done. They will also check her anal glands just in case. What should I know about a cat who is losing their teeth so early? I live with someone who is going to start the argument anew about raw food, but I'm thinking cutting out all kibble is the way to go. Only soft tins, rehydrated freeze dried and frozen raw. How successful or painful is kibble after recovery from tooth extraction?

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the kibble is small enough, there should be no problems chewing it down.  All my kitties have their teeth, and I'm not even sure they crunch their kibble.  LOL