Litter Tray Question

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I've a quick question re litter and litter boxes.

I've two cats in my house at the moment as opposed to my usual one cat. And there's a storm blowing which has been declared a national emergency. Second cat is a newbie cat, who is not my cat but is a stray I've taken in to keep safe.

We've been warned about travelling so I can't get to a pet shop - and I'm a bit worried about the litter tray situation. I have one litter tray set up that my cat Scraggles isn't a fan of but has used in the past when he's been confined for illness. New cat has now comandeered this litter tray as his own. I have another litter tray that I could probably set up but only a tiny bit of litter left - it's a very large litter tray but should I just set it up anyway and maybe mix it with dirt from the garden if I can get out to my garden without the cats escaping?

Also, even though Scraggles knows where his usual litter tray is, should I set this one up somewhere far away from the other? It's been coming up on twelve hours since I've confined both cats to the house - newbie has pooped twice - Scraggles has yet to show any signs of needing to use the facilities... Would two cats ever share one litter tray..? It took long enough for Scraggles to use the litter tray last time I don't know how he'll get on with another one...

Scraggles and the stray really aren't fans of each other by the way... :headshake:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Two cats could share one litter tray- but just in case I'd set the other one up as well. I'm not sure about using the dirt from the garden as litter; I'd be worried about bugs in the dirt that could get in your house. Maybe you could mix in some shredded paper with the existing litter? Not as good as actual paper litter, but I think it might work in an emergency.

I hope you and your cats stay safe!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks abyeb!

It would be great if they could use the same tray - I've been keeping it as clean as possible in the hope that that's what might happen - but I'm just worried that because they aren't getting on at all that Scraggles won't go use anything that smells of newbie :ohwell:

I'll set up the other one so and see if I've any newspaper that I could shred - I really don't think I've enough litter to even cover the bottom of the giant tray I have :kitty: :greenpaw:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much Artistwolf! :hearthrob:

We've managed to pull through and the cats are getting there - Scraggles was especially getting a bit antsy coming up on 24 hours of confinement - but I got to let him out for a little bit later when things had calmed, which I think helped. There are still growls and hisses and I feel quite sorry for him as I completely understand that this is his castle... But hopefully it works out...