Litter tray issue

Scratchy Bitey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, had my puss since august, she is nearly 7 mths old, spayed.
Last night I moved her litter tray. Its about 5ft from where it use to be in the corner of the utility room. Her food used to be in that corner and her litter tray was by the door but I have switched them so I can see when I walk past if her bowl needs refilling.
She hasn't used the tray since. That was about 7pm last night.it's now midday. I put her in it to show her where it was and she squirmed and ran away. She meowed in the night a few times which she has only ever done once before when I changed her litter and she didn't like it so didn't want to pee in it(i changed it back pretty quickly)
I know cats don't like their tray to be near food, is it an issue that it's where her food used to be? Should I just be patient? She has eaten okay from the new spot? Its really not far...and not like she can't find it. And to be honest it is much more private than it used to be so that shouldn't be an issue.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off clean with an enzyme cleaner.

Second switch things back. (Cats hate change, so move things very slowly inch by inch over a matter of weeks and months.

Third, if after you clean things and move them back, accidents keep happening, take your cat to the vet ASAP. That is usually the first recommendation.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess the issue is, where is she going? Cats, as you found out, are very disturbed with change. When I change spots for a litter box I move them only a couple of feet at a time, even if it is sitting in the middle of the floor. She also may be so used to that spot being for eating she is confused as to why she is doing her business there. It takes several days for them to get used to a change. Now if she starts doing her business on the floor, etc. I would forget about moving it for a while and then try to move it inches at a time, and moving her food the same way. Leaving them both in the new position for several days before moving them a tiny bit again. not all cats are like this, I have one that could care less, but MANY are and she happens to be one of them. Thank goodness she tells you she doesn't like it instead of pooping on your bed! If she is holding it, she could become constipated, so really push the water right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scratchy Bitey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your replies. As it turned out I had a delivery of litter today and as I was pouring it in the lidded bucket where I store it she put her front paws on and started padding and shovelling. So I immediately put her in the litter tray and she did her business. I will keep a close eye to see what happens over night tonight. The room is so small that it is literally 5 ft from where it used to be. I moved the tray slightly so it wasn't exactly where her food used to be so I wonder if this helped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scratchy Bitey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After a cautious slow start she is now using her litter tray happily. She just wanted to take her time over it. 😊