Litter Training Problems

mr wendall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am almost at my wits end with my 7 week old kitten Aja. She is not using the litter pan at all. What can I do about this? What can I do to get her to use the litter pan to go to the bathroom in? I don't know what to do and I am actually getting a bit frustrated.

lovesmekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Foremost, that can be a common  sign of a urinary tract infection so it would be good to rule that out with the vet.  Do you have other cats using the same litter box?  She may feel threatened or it may not be clean enough for her preference, so adding another box is a consideration if that is the case.  Another thought is that she may not like the texture of the litter and another brand may work better.  You can even add Litter Magnet or a similar product to draw her back to the litter box. Have you confined her to a small space first?  I.e. when we got our kittens we kept them in the bathroom where the litter box was much of the time to get them used to using it for the first few days.  Also, is she going in the same places repeatedly?  The scent of the urine will lure her back to do it again and requires a proven enzyme based cleaner to break it down completely (such as Nok Out or Anti-Icky Poo spray).

lovesmekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Really cute name, BTW.  And I'm sorry for your frustration.  We just had to change our litter because of peeing outside the box too.  How long has this been going on?  I'm just really hoping she doesn't have a UTI - but either way, there is hope!  She just may need to get to the vet right away.

kismet7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I first got my kitten Rusty at 8 weeks I was told to place him into his litter box as soon as he's done eating 'cause that's usually the time when they go to the bathroom.  I did that and it worked almost immediately.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I am almost at my wits end with my 7 week old kitten Aja. She is not using the litter pan at all. What can I do about this? What can I do to get her to use the litter pan to go to the bathroom in? I don't know what to do and I am actually getting a bit frustrated.
Put her in the bathroom with all her food, water and litter box overnight for a few days. Usually, mama teaches the kittens to use the box by example. That is why it is best to leave the kittens with their mother until they are 12 weeks old. Mama has a lot of cat things to teach them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mr wendall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank You for the replies and advice everyone.

LovesMeKitties, I hope she does not have a UTI. But from what I understand when a feline has a UTI they will go to the bathroom wherever it is convenient to do so at the time they have to go. I have just discovered (to my total disdain and added aggrivation) that Aja has made under my bed her litter box. I just so happen to look under my bed for one of her toys and I thought it smelled kind of bad under there. I lifted up my bed and what did I see under there??? To say that I am ticked off about this is an understatement. Don't get me wrong, I so desperately want to keep Aja, but if this doesn't get corrected............

Kismet7, I have done as you suggested on more than one occasion and each time she IMMEDIATELY jumped out of the litter box. I've read that I may need to get different litter than what is in her mother's litter box.

catspaw66, I'll give that a try if the other suggestions that have been provided don't work.

mr wendall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick question guys,

If I put Aja in the bathroom with her litter box for a few days, do we take her out of the bathroom when we need to use it (showers and calls of nature)? Or do we take our showers and use the bathroom while she is still occupying it?

mr wendall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry guys, two more questions;

1) I've just read that the next time she poops or pees I should scoop it up (eeww) and place it in her litter box and then place HER in the litter box afterward. The logic is that she will recognize the scent of her own waste and draw the conclusion that this is where she is supposed to handle her business. Thoughts or Feedback on this?

2) I had also read that she is SUPPOSED to be learning litter etiquette from her mother which does not appear to me to be taking place at all. However, I just placed Aja's litter box in the same vicinity as her mother's (Brownie) litter box. But Brownie's litter box has a lid/cover on it.  Should I remove the cover to make it easier for Aja to observe her mother using the bathroom and learning bathroom protocol? And if I do remove the cover to Brownie's litter box what kind of reaction should I expect from Brownie for removing it?

deborahlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's only 7 weeks old.  That's like expecting a toddler to wake up one day and be perfectly toilet trained.

Sometimes kittens learn it perfectly from Mom, sometimes not.  Some kittens learn by trial and error.

You might need to get a crate or zippered playpen and keep her in there with her food and water and a litter box until she gets used to it and gets the idea.  If you let her roam, she'll keep doing it for a while until she figures it out.

When you do feed her, however, about 15 minutes later put her in the box and sit with her and praise her when she uses it.

It takes a little time for them to get the idea but they eventually do.  I foster a lot of kittens, both orphaned and with Mom, and for a few weeks they have a lot of accidents, but eventually they get better at it until they become pros.

The crate keeps her from roaming too far from the litter, so she's reminded it's there, and it also protects your floors for a while.

People forget kittens are a lot of work, like babies are.  They don't come as perfect little mini-cats.  They need to learn their life skills and it does take some time.

If this frustrates you this much, you might be happier with an older cat who already uses the litter box than with a kitten.

PS:  Everything everyone has suggested are great suggestions for older cats who are having litter box problems.  She is just a baby.  

Last edited:

lovesmekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry about beneath your bed - that is a little tough to clean in addition to being frustrating anyway!

It's true she is only a kitten - I thought about that more after I posted - but still I guess a UTI is possible so it's worth consideration. Going small amounts frequently can be more indicative of a 
UTI, but it's hard to tell with a kitty.  However, if she's never quite developed a litter box habit it would makes sense that just needs to be established. 

I would remove the hood from her Mom's box - you may find her Mom prefers it too (won't hold in the odor for her either and would be easier to maneuver inside), but all you can do is try it and see how she does.  It would be great for Aja to see her Mom using it.  As far as using the bathroom, I'd just leave her in there when you use it too. 

I've not had first hand experience trying out the other idea of putting her waste into the litter box but it's worth trying.  I just wouldn't put a lot of it in there because having a dirty litter box could create an aversion too.  If it doesn't seem to draw her, I'd get rid of it, but others may have more insight for you on that one.

A great litter to try is Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat.  I think they even make a kitten version and I know they make one called Cat Attract.  I'd read that cats love it, and all 3 of mine definitely do.  I think it just solved a couch peeing problem for us (more time will tell).  But my kitties like to lay in it even (yuk, I know, but thankfully we keep it really clean). You're in such a tough predicament right now it may be worth picking some up to help ease the training process. 

As Catspaw66 suggested, putting her overnight for a few days in the bathroom with the litter box, food and water (set as far away from the box as you can) is a great idea too. Let us know how it goes.

mr wendall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had tried the bathroom idea and that was a HUGE mistake!!! That simply will not work in my situation and I cannot try putting her in the bathroom again. But what really ticks me off is that As Soon As I had let her out of the bathroom (after 30 minutes of protesting from her and her mom) she went under my bed and peed....AGAIN!!!!

NOW I'm getting angry and I'm sure Aja and Brownie can pick up on that which I'm sure will only make the situation worse.

This situation makes me truly appreciate what it is to be frustrated. Now I know the true definition of frustration.

lovesmekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was she under foot too much in your bathroom - what made it a mistake? Do you have another room?  I can see why you're frustrated.  Did you use an enzyme cleaner under the bed?  I know this sounds like 20 questions, but I'm trying to figure out what I would do in your shoes.  Have you tried changing the litter?  I would likely close the bedroom door all the time just to keep her out of there and cut off access.  I think restricting her to a smaller space with all she needs until she keys in to the litter box is what I would do. 

mr wendall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Was she under foot too much in your bathroom - what made it a mistake? Do you have another room?  I can see why you're frustrated.  Did you use an enzyme cleaner under the bed?  I know this sounds like 20 questions, but I'm trying to figure out what I would do in your shoes.  Have you tried changing the litter?  I would likely close the bedroom door all the time just to keep her out of there and cut off access.  I think restricting her to a smaller space with all she needs until she keys in to the litter box is what I would do. 
No, it doesn't sound like too many questions for me; especially since you are trying to help. What made it a mistake was that she and her mom (Brownie) were on either side of the bathroom door and going crazy. Neither one of them stopped meowing like crazy until I finally let Aja-kins out of the bathroom after 30 minutes of torture.

I'll tell you guys what I have done since my last post here. I went and got this stuff called "Nature's Miracle Just For Cats". It's an Enzyme formula and odor and stain remover. We sprayed and cleaned our entire bedroom floor. Well, that's not completely true. My wife is the one who cleaned our bedroom floor.

We got a big 'ole bag of Dr. Elsey's "Kitten Attract" which HER MOTHER (Brownie-kins) had used a couple of times. It may be because we had placed their litter boxes on the same side by the back door. So I had took Aja's litter pan and moved on the opposite side across from Brownie's litter box. Doing that seems to have solved THAT problem. We've kept our bedroom door closed since bringing home the enzyme formula and the kitten attract. The problem is we would catch her relieving herself in other places. Whenever we would catch her in the middle of her dastardly deed, we would hurry and place her in her litter pan.

Anyway, today just an hour ago our little Aja-kins VOLUNTARILY pooped in HER litter pan. 

My wife immediately praised her and lavished her with love and kisses when she was finished. I only hope that this is the beginning of a beautiful thing. I'll most certainly keep you guys updated. Something tells me that we are not quite out of the woods yet (fingers crossed).

mr wendall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yay and Hooray!  Sounds like you are on your way!
I didn't know you were a rapper LovesMeKitties.

Okay, seriously. I figure that for now I have to take the bad with the good.

THE GOOD: Aja is using her litter box almost regularly.

THE BAD: I have to scoop out her litter box three or four times per day. Lots of times I will scoop it out immediately after she uses it. It appears to me that she is one of the "particular" kitties who requires a clean litter box for her to use it. I've noticed that she will handle her business somewhere else if her litter box isn't clean enough for her. A small price to pay if you ask me. The other compromise is that when the litter box is completely cleaned and filled with fresh litter she likes to PLAY in it and it is always a messy affair. I've allowed it to go on thus far because I figure that she is at least getting her paws used to the feeling of the litter. But boy oh boy does she get litter everywhere. Oh well, what can you do?

deborahlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What you can do is get a few stick fishing rod type toys and keep them near the litter boxes. IF you see her playing in the litterbox, pick up one of the toys to distract and entice her to come out and play with you and the toy.

That should have a few benefits ....

It will teach her that going to the litter box for whatever reason will be rewarded.  It will also teach her there are more fun things to play with than dirty litter . :)

Itt will expend some of the energy that she has that is the reason she's playing in the litter box in the first place, and which will be more fun for her because she's playing with you, and the toy is moving so it's more exciting.

It will help cement the bond between you.  Interactive playing with you does help create a bond, just giving her balls etc., while fun and needed in its own right, doesn't build the bond like playing directly with her does.

Glad to hear things are getting better!

Last edited:

lolo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so jealous - my 8 week old kitten is not getting it at all.  :(  I've tried almost everything short of confining her in a really small space like a box.  She just thinks pee goes on the bare floor.  UGH.

mr wendall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

What you can do is get a few stick fishing rod type toys and keep them near the litter boxes. IF you see her playing in the litterbox, pick up one of the toys to distract and entice her to come out and play with you and the toy.

That should have a few benefits ....

It will teach her that going to the litter box for whatever reason will be rewarded.  It will also teach her there are more fun things to play with than dirty litter . :)

Itt will expend some of the energy that she has that is the reason she's playing in the litter box in the first place, and which will be more fun for her because she's playing with you, and the toy is moving so it's more exciting.

It will help cement the bond between you.  Interactive playing with you does help create a bond, just giving her balls etc., while fun and needed in its own right, doesn't build the bond like playing directly with her does.

Glad to hear things are getting better!
Thank You for the advice Deborahlee. I will most certainly give your ideas a try. By chance do you or anyone else know how I can get Aja's mom (Brownie) to stop using Aja's litter box? I think Aja pretty much gets the idea now as she's been using the litter box regularly for the past two days without relieving herself anywhere else in the house. So I see no point with Brownie using Aja's litter box. Perhaps it's the litter? The litter in Aja's box is Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract so maybe I need to get the Cat Attract for Brownie so she can stop using Aja's litter box.

mr wendall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm so jealous - my 8 week old kitten is not getting it at all.  :(  I've tried almost everything short of confining her in a really small space like a box.  She just thinks pee goes on the bare floor.  UGH.
My Aja-kins will be 10 weeks this Saturday and she is just now coming around it seems. I'm thinking that you and I both need to try our best to exercise as much patience that we can muster with the knowledge that our little ones WILL EVENTUALLY come around. It's just a matter of time.

lolo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Mr Wendall!  We're trying to be super patient and not act at all frustrated with the little sweetie pie as it's certainly not her fault...  We tried confining her to a very small space (~15 square feet) last night and today while we're at work, and so far she's only used the litterbox.  Progress?!?  She sounds so sad meowing away all locked up in the tiny Kitty Jail but I just try to remember it's for her own good.  

Yeah I'd put the Kitten Attract or Cat Attract in all the boxes.  My older kitten LOVES that stuff and I'm if there was only one box with it, he'd definitely use it.   Good luck, glad things are looking up for you!