Litter Training - 4 Week Old Kittens

Pawseys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do nursing kittens (4weeks old) use litter box? Or they'll only start using it when they're completely weaned?

Yesterday my kittens just turned 4 weeks old. I thought I should try putting out a small litter box for them. I tried putting one of them in the box, but she tried to eat the sand. I've read that this is normal, but everytime she's in the litter box, she just ate the sand. How much will she eat the sand until she stops? (I use zeolite fyi, is it safe??). For now, I'm putting the litter box away.

Also, my 6month old kitten kept playing with the small litter box, scattering the sand everywhere :( I'm worried he's gonna keep playing with it even after the kittens start using it..

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For kittens make sure you use non clumping litter because kittens will eat litter. The clumping kind of litter can harm them! In my experience the best way to litter train a kitten is giving them shallow pans (easy for kittens to step in) and letting them learn from older cats. Honestly though I wouldn't bother trying to train a kitten to use a litter box until they start eating solids. Kittens are good like that, they tell you when they are ready to try new things. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pawseys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For kittens make sure you use non clumping litter because kittens will eat litter. The clumping kind of litter can harm them! In my experience the best way to litter train a kitten is giving them shallow pans (easy for kittens to step in) and letting them learn from older cats. Honestly though I wouldn't bother trying to train a kitten to use a litter box until they start eating solids. Kittens are good like that, they tell you when they are ready to try new things. :)
Thanks! Guess their litter box will stay in the storage for the time being :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens are a little young at 4 weeks for the litter box. They will take to it quickly when they are eating soft foods and are about 6-7 weeks old. :)

Pawseys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens are a little young at 4 weeks for the litter box. They will take to it quickly when they are eating soft foods and are about 6-7 weeks old. :)
Thx :D For now, I'll try to wean them slowly. I need to get the mom spayed asap before she's in heat again :s

Pawseys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you keeping mom inside and 100% away from intact males?
She's inside all the time now but I can't keep her away from my 6mo male kitten since other rooms are off-limit.. and ofc I can't exactly leave him outdoor. I've scheduled him for neutering end of this month though. Hopefully everything will go well..

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That could be a problem. She can get pregnant again already, and without going into heat. He will also be fertile for up to a month after his surgery.

Pawseys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That could be a problem. She can get pregnant again already, and without going into heat. He will also be fertile for up to a month after his surgery.
o_O a month after surgery?? Wow..

I'll still get her spayed as soon as the kittens are more independent, even if she's pregnant. Better than adding to the population, especially since I can't afford to feed/keep so many and I'm not sure if I'll ever get anyone to adopt 2 of the 3 kittens I have right now..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, please let us know if you need help finding a low-cost clinic.

Luckily, most 6-month-old male kittens are not capable of performing "the deed" yet. Still, be cautious.

Pawseys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've found some that offer cheap neuter/spaying (but only at certain times so I gotta keep an eye open), thanks :D But they won't spay nursing cats unless the kittens are more or less independent, so all I can do is try to wean the kittens.

Luckily, most 6-month-old male kittens are not capable of performing "the deed" yet. Still, be cautious.
*fingers crossed*

Tillycat17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our kittens have litter trained themselves/the mum has helped maybe but I've not seen her do anything.
I set up a pen a 5 days ago (at 4.5weeks old) with their bed, litter tray and just started trying them with tasting food. I haven't done anything and after a few days they all just go in there now. We've been doing a slurry of formula and kitten food.

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you'd like a time frame from my experiences,
We got Cinnamon at 8 weeks, and she had already figured she had to use the litter box. She did not know to bury her stuff, though. She literally just went right on top of the litter. After ~3-4 days, she start digging holes for the poop. Not covering them up, just digging the holes for them. She has been doing this ever since, except recently. She is now 11 weeks, and yesterday marks the day she started covering up her deeds!

Last edited:

Pawseys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you'd like a time frame from my experiences,
We got Cinnamon at 8 weeks, and she had already figured she had to use the litter box. She did not know to bury her stuff, though. She literally just went right on top of the litter. After ~3-4 days, she start digging holes for the poop. Not covering them up, just digging the holes for them. She has been doing this ever since, except recently. She is now 11 weeks, and yesterday marks the day she started covering up her deeds!
Ngaaaw congrats to you and Cinnamon! My 5wo kitties are starting to get the idea. They'll use the litter if there's traces of pee/poo, otherwise they'll do it on the floor/bedsheet... And of course they still try to eat the litter when I replace it with clean litter. But it's still improvement :))