Litter Suggestions? I’m Running Out Of Options

Simonalm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I’m curious to know what kind of litter you use as I am again on the hunt for a new litter.

I started Simon off on arm and hammer double duty and that’s been the only litter he’s seemed to like but every time he would use his litter box he would sneeze from the dust.

I switched to Dr. elseys respiratory relief which didn’t make him sneeze but he would get litter that would nearly turn to cement stuck between his toes and I clean his box everyday.

I tried Smart cat grass based litter and I thought we had a winner but he would try and nibble on a few pieces here and there. Quite a few people have said that about this litter, so anyways I stopped that.

I switched to Worlds best the lavender kind, he used fine for awhile but I can tell that he is not fond of the scent. He will walk by and act like he’s burying the whole box as soon as I replace it lol so I tried the original worlds best and same thing so now I think it’s the texture.

He sometimes will not cover up his business or he will scratch the sides of the box instead of actually covering it and I don’t want him unhappy with his litter. I also don’t want to keep changing it, I know they like consistency but due to various reasons mentioned I’ve had to keep changing. I was glad to get away from clay but as this point it’s a shame arm and hammer makes him sneeze because that’s the one he seemed to enjoy the most.

These have all been slow transitions by the way.

Anyways sorry for the rant, any recommendations would be great!

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neo_23 Neo_23 , did you ever figure out if the poorly clumping okocat was just a bad batch? I gave up on it because it clumped so poorly and fell apart at the slightest pressure, and I haven't bothered trying any more of it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! There are Grass litters, littermaid has a super fine crushed walnut and also a corncob litter both of which I like, Only Natural Pet (website and brand) has a shaved pine litter, you could try those. Good luck!!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neo_23 Neo_23 , did you ever figure out if the poorly clumping okocat was just a bad batch? I gave up on it because it clumped so poorly and fell apart at the slightest pressure, and I haven't bothered trying any more of it.
I ended up taking it back to the store and the clerk brought me another box with a different lot number on it. We opened it up there to compare and noticed that the one I had that wouldn't clump properly was a darker colour than the one at the store. I swapped them and the new one from the store ended up clumping properly when I got home. So I think there must have been a problem with some of the batches they sent out during that time.

Actually, on that note, I stopped using okocat because I became concerned with how they actually get the wood to clump. Their website is very vague, they basically say that they use plant materials that the FDA considers "generally safe." That's a little concerning to me. I've been using grass litter ever since and I love it-- except that it tracks like crazy and sticks to my cat's paws. :(

I'm trying to figure out which is worse -- using a litter that doesn't track or stick to a cat's paws too much but you don't know what kind of plant materials are in it, or using a litter that is made of grass, almost dust free, but your cat might ingest because it sticks to her paws.

Sigh... seems like everything in the pet world is a choice of the lesser of evils.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I ended up taking it back to the store and the clerk brought me another box with a different lot number on it. We opened it up there to compare and noticed that the one I had that wouldn't clump properly was a darker colour than the one at the store. I swapped them and the new one from the store ended up clumping properly when I got home. So I think there must have been a problem with some of the batches they sent out during that time.

Actually, on that note, I stopped using okocat because I became concerned with how they actually get the wood to clump. Their website is very vague, they basically say that they use plant materials that the FDA considers "generally safe." That's a little concerning to me. I've been using grass litter ever since and I love it-- except that it tracks like crazy and sticks to my cat's paws. :(

I'm trying to figure out which is worse -- using a litter that doesn't track or stick to a cat's paws too much but you don't know what kind of plant materials are in it, or using a litter that is made of grass, almost dust free, but your cat might ingest because it sticks to her paws.

Sigh... seems like everything in the pet world is a choice of the lesser of evils.
I've actually ended up with a grass litter too, especially since Mishka has realized that it's not food. Still in the process of transitioning from clay, and it tracks EVERYWHERE, but still better than having them sneeze and cough in the litterbox because of clay dust.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've actually ended up with a grass litter too, especially since Mishka has realized that it's not food. Still in the process of transitioning from clay, and it tracks EVERYWHERE, but still better than having them sneeze and cough in the litterbox because of clay dust.
Exactly, I feel the same. How bad do you think it will be if ingested? I worry about it sticking to their paws.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it'll be okay. It doesn't form cement-like clumps as clay does, so shouldn't be too bad. And from watching Saipha and Mishka, they tend to clean their butts immediately after using the box, but they don't clean their paws for several hours afterwards. At which point, hopefully all the litter will have fallen off.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it'll be okay. It doesn't form cement-like clumps as clay does, so shouldn't be too bad. And from watching Saipha and Mishka, they tend to clean their butts immediately after using the box, but they don't clean their paws for several hours afterwards. At which point, hopefully all the litter will have fallen off.
True, mine is the same. I do find very small broken down pieces of litter on her paws sometimes but, as you say, I feel like it shouldn’t be too harmful since the clumps break apart easily and I don’t think the grass expands as much as clay litter does. I feel like ingestion is probably a concern with any kind of litter and I’d rather have mine ingesting grass than clay, wheat or wood. :dunno:

A good cordless handheld vacuum is definitely a must with this litter though!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
one of my cats nibbled the grass litter when i first started using it. he quit after a while, and it didn't seem to do anything bad. It is bio degradable so what they ingest they should be able to break down. No solid mass like clay. I would only worry if he was eating a lot, like a meal. Our vet said he wouldn't worry. I use the grass litter

i do use litter maid walnut litter that i pick up at walmart as well. I dont know where else to find it? I like it a lot, i think it tracks a bit less than the grass litter. I have used Blue walnut litter in the past, i found it to be dusty, but the litter maid is finer grind, the cats like it better, and no dust.

I also like Dr Elseys silical crystal respiratory relief. The crystals are very fine, like sand. the cats like it, and no dust. i dont find it tracks bad at all.

I use all 3 of these litters and my cat that hacks like crazy with dusty litter is fine. No hacking

I did use okocat litter for a while, i found it to be quite a bit dustier than the 3 i use now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - thanks to duckpond duckpond recommendation I tried that littermaid walnut litter, it's nice - as mentioned, there's no dust and it seems to be ok with clumping.
I'm also trying out Only Natural Pet's shaved pine, just received it today so we'll see.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi - thanks to duckpond duckpond recommendation I tried that littermaid walnut litter, it's nice - as mentioned, there's no dust and it seems to be ok with clumping.
I'm also trying out Only Natural Pet's shaved pine, just received it today so we'll see.
let us know what you think of the only natural litter :)

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just watched a video about a cat lady who owns a cattery use equine pellets with the Breeze system from Tidy Cats. I plan on transitioning my cat to that in the next month or so. But duckpond duckpond 's suggestion about walnut litter is something I'm now considering.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I really like Smartcat grass litter. Clumps well and lightweight so it’s easier to get home from the store. It does track a lot. I was using Dr. Elsey’s Ultra (blue bag) and had good luck with it, but I wanted something more earth friendly. Also, it’s heavy and my back complains! I had just transitioned Lily and Iris completely to Smartcat, but when I adopted Mocha in the fall, Lily began to have litter box issues. I thought it might help to go back to Dr. Elsey’s for awhile. At this point, I’m mixing Dr. Elsey’s and Smartcat 50/50. Not totally earth friendly but it does cut down on tracking. And I keep a small stick vacuum nearby and run it quickly around the boxes in the morning. All three cats seem okay with the mix, and I think (fingers crossed) that Lily has resigned herself to the fact that Mocha is here to stay.

I tried Okocat and it worked pretty well. In fact I still have some. I’ll probably add it to the mix in a few months when the girls are all settled again.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like Smartcat grass litter. Clumps well and lightweight so it’s easier to get home from the store. It does track a lot. I was using Dr. Elsey’s Ultra (blue bag) and had good luck with it, but I wanted something more earth friendly. Also, it’s heavy and my back complains! I had just transitioned Lily and Iris completely to Smartcat, but when I adopted Mocha in the fall, Lily began to have litter box issues. I thought it might help to go back to Dr. Elsey’s for awhile. At this point, I’m mixing Dr. Elsey’s and Smartcat 50/50. Not totally earth friendly but it does cut down on tracking. And I keep a small stick vacuum nearby and run it quickly around the boxes in the morning. All three cats seem okay with the mix, and I think (fingers crossed) that Lily has resigned herself to the fact that Mocha is here to stay.

I tried Okocat and it worked pretty well. In fact I still have some. I’ll probably add it to the mix in a few months when the girls are all settled again.
Dr elsey also has the cat attract that you can buy and add to any litter. maybe add it to the grass litter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Simonalm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I really like the Smart cat litter, I’m not really sure why because as you’ve all said the tracking is awful. Nonetheless I really liked it, however that’s the one that he will eat. Not much just a nibble but still cautious of it because of that. I’ve also tried mixing that half and half with worlds best to see if that helped and it does but not completely.

The worlds best he really doesn’t seem to like, he will do his business and then stand out of the box or on the sides (which is a sight to see lol it’s like he’s walking a tight rope) and instead of covering it up completely he just scratches the side of the box or the wall.

The smart cat he seems to like a little too much I suppose but he does actually cover with it.

I think I’m going to try the dr elseys touch of outdoors. He’s such a picky little cat

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm using a mix of smartcat grass litter and Dr. Elsey's at the moment while I'm transitioning them away from clay. I actually found that a lot of the tracking was from the clay rather than the grass. I'm switching one of the litterboxes to only smartcat tomorrow, so we'll see whether they use it.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Dr elsey also has the cat attract that you can buy and add to any litter. maybe add it to the grass litter?
Hmmm. There’s a thought. I’d forgotten about the Cat Attract. I foresee a Petco run in the near future...and I have $5 off! Thanks, duckpond duckpond !

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm using a mix of smartcat grass litter and Dr. Elsey's at the moment while I'm transitioning them away from clay. I actually found that a lot of the tracking was from the clay rather than the grass. I'm switching one of the litterboxes to only smartcat tomorrow, so we'll see whether they use it.
The main thing I found when I went 100% Smartcat was that the cats were a little freaked out about sinking into it past their feet. Fortunately, they got over it!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main thing I found when I went 100% Smartcat was that the cats were a little freaked out about sinking into it past their feet. Fortunately, they got over it!
yes, mine didnt like that at first either, but the got over it too. I am also using the litter maid walnut litter i get at walmart now too. they dont sink in that as much. 2 of mine seem to like it better. 1 like the grass better, and one likes the crystals better....lol cats :)