Litter stuck in paw pad

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
E22EAF34-EE13-4488-A420-EA264C9E6951.jpeg

Both of my cats front paw pads look like this. Some of that is litter that has a scab growing over it. She was at the vet last week for this and another issue. They gave her some antibiotics and it’s seemed to help a little as she’s not limping anymore, but it still looks the same. She won’t let me touch or do anything to her paws, not even trim her nails. I only got this picture because she was in a deep sleep lol. It seems to be in there pretty good. Is there anything else I can do or do any of you think this will eventually just come out or heal?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me, it looks like they've got sores on their feet that litter has gotten into, not the other way around.

Since it's both cats that have the same problem, I suggest looking for a cause.

Do they run on pavement or something hard like that? I've seen dogs get sores on their feet when they run on hard surfaces for a long time. Are they climbing or playing on something that hurts their feet?

I think the vet's answer is okay. I might suggest having their feet cleaned to remove any debris but, if they are sensitive to having their feet touched, it might be better to leave well enough alone. Again, I think that's the vet's call.

Antibiotics? Sure. They dig in their own excrement. Sores like that can get infected easily.

With all that being said, I think your main focus should be on finding out why this happened in the first place and figuring a way to keep it from happening again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To me, it looks like they've got sores on their feet that litter has gotten into, not the other way around.

Since it's both cats that have the same problem, I suggest looking for a cause.

Do they run on pavement or something hard like that? I've seen dogs get sores on their feet when they run on hard surfaces for a long time. Are they climbing or playing on something that hurts their feet?

I think the vet's answer is okay. I might suggest having their feet cleaned to remove any debris but, if they are sensitive to having their feet touched, it might be better to leave well enough alone. Again, I think that's the vet's call.

Antibiotics? Sure. They dig in their own excrement. Sores like that can get infected easily.

With all that being said, I think your main focus should be on finding out why this happened in the first place and figuring a way to keep it from happening again.
sorry that’s what I meant, she had the sore on her foot first and then got litter stuck in it. It’s just one cat and she has it on both her paws. I tried to get it out myself but she wouldn’t let me. I actually had to go to the vet twice because part of the visit was her getting some shots and blood work. She wouldn’t let the vet do anything so they sent me home with some downers to calm her for the next visit. When she was limping on it I tried to soak her feet by having her stand in the tub with a tiny bit of water and that got some of it out, but as you can see she still has quite a bit in there. I just wasn’t sure if this would eventually come out on its own or not

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you're doing the best that can be done.

It's hard to work with a recalcitrant cat.

Now, I think it's time for some detective work to try to figure out what happened to cause this. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you're doing the best that can be done.

It's hard to work with a recalcitrant cat.

Now, I think it's time for some detective work to try to figure out what happened to cause this. :)
I noticed before this her paws were dry, and bled once. Do they have kitty moisturizer or can I use the same stuff I use?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can use Bag Balm Pet Care It's safe to use on pets. There are other pet specific brands of moisturizers you can find at pet stores and online pet stores. Even Amazon sells a bunch of different brands.

I'd have the vet take a look at the paw again. If the vet has no idea what the thing is, get a second opinion from another vet or ask the vet to consult with a veterinary school. It looks like a skin growth, not litter embedded in the paw.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not questioning the fact that a cat with sores on his/her feet who then uses a litter box could get litter embedded in the sores; however, it looks like a growth to me, too. Both paws have it though, so odd that they would have the same growth. You might need a veterinary dermatologist or at least for your vet to consult with one.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 392317
Both of my cats front paw pads look like this. Some of that is litter that has a scab growing over it. She was at the vet last week for this and another issue. They gave her some antibiotics and it’s seemed to help a little as she’s not limping anymore, but it still looks the same. She won’t let me touch or do anything to her paws, not even trim her nails. I only got this picture because she was in a deep sleep lol. It seems to be in there pretty good. Is there anything else I can do or do any of you think this will eventually just come out or heal?
This looks like an ulcer and infection and not necessarily cat litter stuck. Its scabbed.
Definitely go to a vet or send pics to the vet.
Try gabapentin to calm kitty before vet visit - ask the vet about that.