Litter Robot Litter Issue!

SitoriTenshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I am brand new to the community so I apologize if this question should be put somewhere else~

I have two lovely kitties and a litter robot machine to keep up with their business. It works GREAT, and I really love the machine. But I have a serious issue~ litter tracking! Both of my kitties are enthusiastic kickers, and inevitably litter ends up EVERYWHERE. I have gotten the gate and the stair accessories, which only help minimally. I also have two mats down. So, I have come to the conclusion that the problem has got to be the litter I am using.

We have tried several different fresh step and tidy cat litters. All of them have this problem. It is also worth noting that I have wood floors, so I also have the awful white dust film on the floors that is next to impossible to get up. Does anyone have suggestions for what litter we can try to cut down on the tracking and the dust?

Obviously, suggestions would have to be compatible with the litter robot. It is my understanding that the following do not work: litters that are strictly absorbent, non-clumping, loose clumping, newspaper-based, or wood-based pellets.

Any help or suggestions for different litters or different things to try would be happily welcomed!

Thank you!!!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not have a litter robot but DO have enthusiastic diggers. Considering your requirements, the Dr, Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Cat Litter is probably the best for you. It has less dust than other litters in general, I use the unscented which cats prefer, and it clumps hard so the bottom of the pan does not get wet. Its advertising suggests it is good for mechanical litter boxes. Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Cat Litter

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ever Clean doesnt track much, but can be a bit dusty when you first put it in the box.

You could also try a larger mat. Most litter mats are too small. I picked up a medium sized carpet from ikea.

catlitterguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try Arm & Hammer Slide or the Clump & Seal version. Both are staple in my household and is MUCH better than Tidy Cats. The Tidy Cats is well known to track and dusty.

Your litter of choice is the most important factor in reducing tracking.

How are you placing your mats? Try to put it in the direction that your cat normally walks on (i.e. may need to be in the "red carpet" arrangement) for optimum tracking reduction.

debjo18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try Arm & Hammer Slide or the Clump & Seal version. Both are staple in my household and is MUCH better than Tidy Cats. The Tidy Cats is well known to track and dusty.

Your litter of choice is the most important factor in reducing tracking.

How are you placing your mats? Try to put it in the direction that your cat normally walks on (i.e. may need to be in the "red carpet" arrangement) for optimum tracking reduction.
Hi - Question - I just discovered SLIDE and LOVE it (and the cats do too - I have two cat boxes next to each other and they prefer to use the SLIDE box, not their previous litter) I just purchased but have not yet received the Litter Robot. Do you have one? I want to see if the SLIDE works with it or if I should start out using their recommended natural clay litter.

catlitterguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
debjo18 debjo18 - Yes! I use my Litter Robot with the Slide litter and it works well. I like that it doesn’t stick to the Litter Robot as much as the other brand. It keeps the cleaning mechanism from accidentally getting clogged.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SitoriTenshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all! It has been awhile since I initially posted but I am still really having an issue with this. It isn't only that my kitty is an enthusiastic digger! I have also come to realize that part of the issue is that even though I have the stairs for her to walk down she won't do it! So, she jumps out and when doing so litter comes out with her. I'm desperate for a solution, I am so tired of there always being litter on my carpet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used the Slide litter and did not like it. It did not "slide" well as advertised. It also did not contained the smell that well. So far Dr. Elsey's litter brand is the best I have used.

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We use Everclean with our Litter-Robot along with the “fence”, stairs and a couple of good size litter mats. So far that seems to contain the litter pretty close to the litter box.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am also enjoying my litter robot but noticed the odor is not as contained as I thought. I am using Dr. Elsey’s litter. Maybe I need to use Ever Clean?

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the lack of odor is primarily due to the raw diet the kittens eat. I feed Answers Detail, Stella & Chewy’s frozen nuggets and some Radcat. They get no kibble or canned food. You can be right in the room with them when they poop and there is no smell. Even when I open the drawer of the Litter-Robot to collect the bag of clumps and waste there is hardly any odor.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed them primal, Stella & Chewy and weruva and still the stench. I have to clean out the draw every other day.

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also give mine a probiotic-Proviable DC that I order off Amazon. They get Plaque Off as well. Perhaps one of those things works to keep odor at bay.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot. I’ll try it. I’ve been hearing horror stories online by pet nutritionists about people feeding kibble food to their cats, regardless of its quality and price. They attribute renal failure, diabetes, cancer, obesity etc to perpetual kibble food diet.

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That’s why I gave up kibble for the dogs and transitioned the kittens off kibble as soon as possible after we adopted them. I switched to canned (Instinct, Tikicat, Wellness and Weruva) but decided to give raw a try. The boys loved the raw (I warm it in a baggy placed in warm water for a few minutes before feeding). I love that all the bad waste smell went away on this diet. It’s expensive so I have begun seriously looking to making raw at home for them. I want to do it properly so it will require a bit more study before I dip my toe in.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Buying raw is expensive. Some people buy the organic 100% ground turkey at Walmart and add a supplemental cat nutritional powder in it. I will try that.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buying raw is expensive. Some people buy the organic 100% ground turkey at Walmart and add a supplemental cat nutritional powder in it. I will try that.
Ground poultry is full of bacteria. Really would not recommend this.

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm having litter robot litter issues too!

Clump and Seal doesn't track at all (seriously it's amazing) but it leaves behind wet clay-like urine clumps all along the bottom of and sides of the LR. Tidy Cats does the same thing. I'm not sure what to try next, I guess Precious Cat?