Litter on cat spay incision?

DoodleStrudle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im not sure if its litter or something else but i tried telling my mom we should get paper litter for while shes healing and she said “the vet would tell us or try and sell us some if we need it” and wouldn’t listen but now i think she has some on her incision. What should we do?
(i had saw it was recommended for just males but also saw it was recommended for girls too so i wanted to be safe)
E599E1DF-E1E8-4CA9-845B-5711829648A1.png

AllieCat91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Use a damp wash cloth or some gauze and gently clean it up. You don’t have to use the paper litter for spays. Most vets offer complimentary post op rechecks or will atleast allow you to email the picture for some advice.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some hydrogen peroxide and mix it half and half with warm water, preferably bottled so it isn't contaminated. Put it on a clean rag or gauze and gently wipe the area. it will fizzle. Only do that once. The incision will ooze for a while, but if it turns into anything but clear, call your vet. If she gets a lump, that is normal, it is from swelling inside. Just keep an eye on it for extreme swelling, spreading redness and if she stops eating, call your vet then.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not sure if its litter or something else but i tried telling my mom we should get paper litter for while shes healing and she said “the vet would tell us or try and sell us some if we need it” and wouldn’t listen but now i think she has some on her incision. What should we do?
(i had saw it was recommended for just males but also saw it was recommended for girls too so i wanted to be safe)
Actually, it looks like that is only 'surgical glue' for the external skin layer.
You don't have to do anything to remove it.
It will naturally dry and fall off.

(Spays sometimes have three layers of stitches...the abdominal wall layer, the subcutaneous layer...and then the external skin layer.
Some skin layers have external absorbable sutures...but with your kitten/cat...it looks like they closed the external skin layer...with surgical glue. Perfectly okay.)

Just keep an eye on the incision for extra yellowish discharge, larger openings, or angry redness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DoodleStrudle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Use a damp wash cloth or some gauze and gently clean it up. You don’t have to use the paper litter for spays. Most vets offer complimentary post op rechecks or will atleast allow you to email the picture for some advice.
Get some hydrogen peroxide and mix it half and half with warm water, preferably bottled so it isn't contaminated. Put it on a clean rag or gauze and gently wipe the area. it will fizzle. Only do that once. The incision will ooze for a while, but if it turns into anything but clear, call your vet. If she gets a lump, that is normal, it is from swelling inside. Just keep an eye on it for extreme swelling, spreading redness and if she stops eating, call your vet then.
Actually, it looks like that is only 'surgical glue' for the external skin layer.
You don't have to do anything to remove it.
It will naturally dry and fall off.

(Spays sometimes have three layers of stitches...the abdominal wall layer, the subcutaneous layer...and then the external skin layer.
Some skin layers have external absorbable sutures...but with your kitten/cat...it looks like they closed the external skin layer...with surgical glue. Perfectly okay.)

Just keep an eye on the incision for extra yellowish discharge, larger openings, or angry redness.
Thank you guys. I think for now we will leave it be in case it is just surgical glue. Ill be sure to keep and eye on everything.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, sounds good.
Someone else, here, took photos of their cat's incision everyday...to keep a sort of record on how it looked while she was healing.
You could do that, too, if you want.

Could we see a photo of your whole cat, and what her name is, too?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

DoodleStrudle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sure, sounds good.
Someone else, here, took photos of their cat's incision everyday...to keep a sort of record on how it looked while she was healing.
You could do that, too, if you want.

Could we see a photo of your whole cat, and what her name is, too?
I can try to get pictures of it everyday but no promises as it can be a lil tricky to get them of her incision.
Mochi is about 8 months now and ive basically known her since she was born. (Ill go more into detail another time)
Shes a very active cat and love sitting on my shoulder occasionally. But also love to snuggle me and my mom. Shes also super tiny and hasn’t really grown much more. The vet said shes just a very small cat. She eats wet food as much as shes able and is even free fed dry hills. I have tons of photos but heres a few

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I can try to get pictures of it everyday but no promises as it can be a lil tricky to get them of her incision.
Mochi is about 8 months now and ive basically known her since she was born. (Ill go more into detail another time)
Shes a very active cat and love sitting on my shoulder occasionally. But also love to snuggle me and my mom. Shes also super tiny and hasn’t really grown much more. The vet said shes just a very small cat. She eats wet food as much as shes able and is even free fed dry hills. I have tons of photos but heres a few
Hi DoodleStrudle DoodleStrudle ...sorry, I was a little too confusing in my last post.
I only meant that you could take photos...for yourself, ...not actually have to post them...just to see how her incision is healing.
But yes, it's not necessary to do that...since like you said...it is rather tricky to get photos while she's sleeping or moving around.

(What you might notice...is that once the incision does scab over...the scab will fall off...and then some more redness will be seen.
Don't worry too much if you see this...since while healing...scabs always form and then fall off.)

Thank you so much for the above photos you did post of your Mochi. :)
She is so adorably pretty.:blush:
I really love her white chest and ears. :thumbsup:
Her nose colour is pretty, too.