Litter mates had encounter with outside cat, now hate each other

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What excitement?
Is that outside cat back?
No, I just mean the very new routine of being separated from each other, having these weird gates in the house, being confined for extended periods etc. I haven't seen the outside cat since maybe 3 days ago.

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have bought a cat tree and cleared out a big shelf in the bathroom for a small scratching post and a cat bed, and we also put a scratching post in our bedroom so whoever is locked wherever has everything they need, scratcher, comfy place to lie, water, litter box. We don't free feed, so food comes when it comes. How long is it reasonable to confine a cat? One or the other or both pretty much have to be confined in either the bedroom or bathroom at all times, but I feel pretty terrible leaving them locked in a room alone. When we leave we put them both away. Is there any conventional wisdom about how long it's reasonable to leave them locked up by themselves? Poor babies.

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whew!

Hmmm, maybe there's something else going on that they can hear but you can't?
I mean they're on medication, the house and our routine is all weird, my landlord is here banging things and stomping around like she's friggin godzilla, there's a multitude of things that could be making them scream more than usual.

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had another fairly reasonable feeding this morning, one partially puffed tail. They seem to be settling into their respective "basecamps" which are situated on opposite sides of the house. Should I let them get comfy and keep one room for each cat, or be continually switching them between these rooms? They can both have access to the living and kitchen from their rooms, which are in between the basecamp rooms.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would be my opinion that there are benefits to having each cat spend some time in the other cat's 'basecamp' simply because that location smells most like the other cat. But, if they both spend some time in the main rooms, even if it is separately at this time, it might not be as big of a deal. The only thing you need to consider is when you finally do get them back together again, you want both of them to feel comfortable in the area that is currently considered the other cat's 'basecamp'. Maybe that can just be another step in the process for later on...

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It would be my opinion that there are benefits to having each cat spend some time in the other cat's 'basecamp' simply because that location smells most like the other cat. But, if they both spend some time in the main rooms, even if it is separately at this time, it might not be as big of a deal. The only thing you need to consider is when you finally do get them back together again, you want both of them to feel comfortable in the area that is currently considered the other cat's 'basecamp'. Maybe that can just be another step in the process for later on...
Right, I am concerned with them becoming territorial about their "rooms." They are both familiar with both areas, but I still hesitate to do anything that might make the introduction process take even longer.

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just did a feeding, and something odd happened. One of them, when she was mostly done with her food, got up and walked over to the barrier where my partner was holding up the blanket. She didn't charge or hiss or even puff up her tail (that I noticed, I was very surprised and afraid and busy telling my partner to drop the blanket, so it is possible there was some sign of distress that I didn't notice). This is striking me as a good sign, according to my partner the other cat either didn't notice or didn't care, but I worry a bit that if she does it again her sister might see her and be afraid. Thoughts? They are still in the same rooms/on the same side of the barrier, I have not switched them yet.

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still no craziness, and we are on a half dose of the meds. There is definitely progress. I feel so guilty about locking them up and trapped in my house and worried about taking them off the meds, I wish I could focus more on the positive that it does seem to be getting better. I still can't focus on my schoolwork, and the other day at the gym I got on the scale, I have dropped more than 6 lbs in a week from not eating due to stress. What a drama queen. One day at a time I guess.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do keep things at this same routine for awhile. Give them a chance to get more used to seeing each other again. That distance seems to be working so , go with what works. The first calm approach? Yay! That is positive! During adjustments , kitten steps are the norm. Progress may be slow but it is huge to little kitties. Take care of yourself . You’ve done a wonderful job dealing with so many new things. . Bravo to you and your partner! :clap2:

Last edited:

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do keep things at this same routine for awhile. Give them a chance to get more used to seeing each other again. That distance seems to be working so , go with what works. The first calm approach? Yay! That is positive! During adjustments , kitten steps are the norm. Progress may be slow but it is huge to little kitties. Take care of yourself . You’ve done a wonderful job dealing with so many new things. . Bravo to you and your partner! :clap2:
Normalcy is starting to creep into this whole thing regardless of how I might feel about it lol. No meds today but still no blow ups. I have a question about their behavior during our feeding sessions, though. Both cats will occasionally stop eating and just look at the other cat. No tail fluffing, no hissing, no appreciable change in body language, they just pick their heads up out of the food bowl to stare at sister for a sec, and then go back to eating. This happens maybe 5-8 times during each feeding (we are doing 4 a day, 2 an hour apart in the morning, 2 an hour apart in the evening, quarter of a big can each time). They don't seem agitated, but they do seem intent on scoping each other out. Is this negative? Positive? Neutral? Unexplained cat thing?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normalcy creeping back in? :clap2: Take it slow still. My impression is that they are watching and observing. They are waiting to see what the other will do. I consider this a natural step in the right direction. It’sgoing to be a process of rekindling trust and cats do it their way. Lol This is their way. You need to do what the kitties are doing. Sit back, observe and relax. Calm has crept back in for them so, enjoy it. If you share that calm, they’ll feel that too.