Litter mates had encounter with outside cat, now hate each other

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He hasn't been back in the yard that I've seen since we put up the ssscat sensors out there.
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed!!

I'm with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , go gently :)! I'm SO hoping this is the beginning of steps down a calm path for you-all!

Is your partner easing up about the inappropriate elimination?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just had a hissing/caterwauling episode through the barrier. I guess we're not ready to see each other yet. Please let this end.

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed!!

I'm with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , go gently :)! I'm SO hoping this is the beginning of steps down a calm path for you-all!

Is your partner easing up about the inappropriate elimination?
My partner is being more supportive, yes. We got everything cleaned up. But now they're hissing and yowling at each other through the barrier.

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you try giving them some treats during the process? If not, next time try that.
They both just want to get through the barrier, so were both smelling around it etc. I guess it's not a good solution.

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with Amitriptyline? My vet wants to try it since the gabapentin doesn't seem to be working.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you swapping them so that neither has to stay on only one side of the gate all the time? If not, start there. The other thing is to feed each of them a few feet on each side of the gate, so that they have to take a peek at each other but away from being so close to the gate - and, the food might help pre-occupy them a bit.

Also, here is an article about amitriptyline - The Side Effects of Amitriptyline in Cats.

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have been consistently swapping them. And they will (or at least would this morning) eat within inches of each other on either side of the gates.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We have been consistently swapping them. And they will (or at least would this morning) eat within inches of each other on either side of the gates.
That good! So, for this morning's 'incident', it does happen, for whatever reason, so you just have to try again at a later time. Frustrating, I know!!

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That good! So, for this morning's 'incident', it does happen, for whatever reason, so you just have to try again at a later time. Frustrating, I know!!
We were going to show them to each other this evening, should we wait?

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not eating, breaking down in tears every couple hours, just completely miserable. I feel like they will never be the same and my home will never be the same. I can't stop thinking about literally last week when they would cuddle and lick each other on the couch and now my house is just a miserable mess. I hate this. I hate it so much. Why would animals even have this reaction? It makes no sense.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not eating, breaking down in tears every couple hours, just completely miserable. I feel like they will never be the same and my home will never be the same. I can't stop thinking about literally last week when they would cuddle and lick each other on the couch and now my house is just a miserable mess. I hate this. I hate it so much. Why would animals even have this reaction? It makes no sense.
The more you allow yourself to be upset, the more of a negative influence it has on your cats. They sense your emotions/frustrations and will respond to them by being more upset and frustrated themselves. The better you take care of yourself, the better you can take care of them. Pets take their cues from their owners and what is going on around them.

The fact that "literally last week" they were cuddling means that this has not gone on that long, and is really not terribly shocking that things have not gotten back to normal yet. No one knows why some things happen, they just do. And, accepting that is the best way to help yourself not be so frustrated/overwhelmed.

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The one in here with me is completely fine lounging in her tree, the other is locked in the bathroom again. They were fine for almost 2 days, they seem so unpredictable, how do I know when to move forward if they will just freak out at any moment for no reason?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
they seem so unpredictable, how do I know when to move forward
You won't be able to move forward as long as he's around. Your babies aren't really that unpredictable.

Find some way to keep them separate that still allows you to function in the house, be calm about this, and wait until he's gone and neutered before you try to do anything with your cats.

frenetic mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You won't be able to move forward as long as he's around. Your babies aren't really that unpredictable.

Find some way to keep them separate that still allows you to function in the house, be calm about this, and wait until he's gone and neutered before you try to do anything with your cats.
I haven't gotten any response from any of the TNR organizations I've called. Would moving house make things better or worse? I'm imagining a clean slate, but it's also stressful to move, so I don't know.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, he came back this morning. There isn't any help available for him for at least a week... I haven't gotten any response from any of the TNR organizations I've called. Would moving house make things better or worse? I'm imagining a clean slate, but it's also stressful to move, so I don't know.
Did you run out of the Ssscat you were using on him, or did he just get used to it? If you ran out, get some more. It seemed like it worked for a while there.
Moving seems a bit extreme, and likely wouldn't help any with the cats as they would have yet another thing to upset them.