Litter Maid Walnut Litter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw a new litter at Walmart today, at least to me. litter maid walnut litter? now i love my grass litter, but i'm a sucker for trying new natural litters i find...lol I use to use blue Buffalo litter, and like the odor control, but it was so dusty, red dust everywhere, so i quit it. i put the litter maid in a box today, it seems to be a lot finer grind than blue, and when i ran my hand through it no red dust :) i just wondered if anyone else has used it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like it a lot. Dust free, fragrance free, controls odor well, and not bad with tracking. I, and my cats have always favored the grass litter. But the Litter Maid walnut litter has turned out to be number 1, for me and the cats :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks to duckpond's sharp eye finding it and recommending it, I'm liking it as well, for all the same reasons.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. I will have to try this litter right away. Now I need a hamster so I can make use of two unopened 18 Lb boxes of shaved pine cat litter (oh so dusty).
you might can donate it to a local shelter, they are often begging for litter! and with all the kittens they get in this time of year they would appreciate it :)

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I picked a few bags a week ago at my local W-M and initiated a full test of 100% of Litter Maid's Premium Clumping Walnut Litter. My test subject is my little "Destroyer of Worlds" 1+ year old tabby. She can seriously wreck a litter box. I didn't see a reason to transition her as I need a untampered or undiluted litter for her to destroy. Frankly, she doesn't care what litter type it is or who the box belongs too. I'll provide updates as things progress. :hyper:

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Duckpond, I think I love this litter. Of the three boxes I clean, her litter box was the one I hated most, but now it is my favorite. It has been a week now since I switched the little one from a combination of World's Best Cat Litter (Corn type) and Tidy Cat's 4-In-1 to Litter Maid Premium Clumping Walnut Litter.

It is easier to scoop and sift than any of the other litters I have tried. I scoop and wait a second, then the returning litter just falls through the scoop like sand in a hour glass. The previous litters, especially the transition mix I used above, I had to shake the scoop to sift it, thus sustaining the mushroom cloud of dust that already had me holding my breath like a deep water pearl diver. With this litter, I scoop, wait a second, dump to pail (rinse'n repeat as gamers say). No more gaging to hold my breath and watching the mushroom cloud travel through my home. Nor does my little girl inhale dust as she rearranges the litter to suit her needs.

Tracking with this litter of little concern to me. I have yet to find any on my bed as I have with the clay and shaved pine type. Odor control is excellent after a weeks use. The clumps are smaller. The litter is very light to carry new and in disposing of the old. If you're shopping at my Wal-marts you had better get there first, as I tend to clear out the shelving of this litter.

A week to go and I'll leave my thoughts. I try to change out to new litter by 14 days. No more worries for me concerning the harms of clay-based clumping litter being ingested by my cats.

I and my cats all thank you Duckpond for mentioning this litter as I doubt I would have ever tried it after my experience with Blue Buffalo's Walnut Litter.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duckpond, I think I love this litter. Of the three boxes I clean, her litter box was the one I hated most, but now it is my favorite. It has been a week now since I switched the little one from a combination of World's Best Cat Litter (Corn type) and Tidy Cat's 4-In-1 to Litter Maid Premium Clumping Walnut Litter.

It is easier to scoop and sift than any of the other litters I have tried. I scoop and wait a second, then the returning litter just falls through the scoop like sand in a hour glass. The previous litters, especially the transition mix I used above, I had to shake the scoop to sift it, thus sustaining the mushroom cloud of dust that already had me holding my breath like a deep water pearl diver. With this litter, I scoop, wait a second, dump to pail (rinse'n repeat as gamers say). No more gaging to hold my breath and watching the mushroom cloud travel through my home. Nor does my little girl inhale dust as she rearranges the litter to suit her needs.

Tracking with this litter of little concern to me. I have yet to find any on my bed as I have with the clay and shaved pine type. Odor control is excellent after a weeks use. The clumps are smaller. The litter is very light to carry new and in disposing of the old. If you're shopping at my Wal-marts you had better get there first, as I tend to clear out the shelving of this litter.

A week to go and I'll leave my thoughts. I try to change out to new litter by 14 days. No more worries for me concerning the harms of clay-based clumping litter being ingested by my cats.

I and my cats all thank you Duckpond for mentioning this litter as I doubt I would have ever tried it after my experience with Blue Buffalo's Walnut Litter.
It is my favorite too! There is a bit of tracking, but not any worse than any other litter, and better than many! odor control is great. Very little dust, which is the major thing for me. the only thing i have found is that after two weeks or so it does not clump as tight. I start getting more crumbles. I dump mine every two weeks as well, so not really a problem for me. But i think most of the bio degradable litters are this way. And i find it works best if i let the pee clumps dry a bit, if i scoop right after they go it tends to break a bit. Glad you like it! My walmart runs out too :( when i find it in stock i also stock up.

Last edited:

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sadly, it seems my only source for this is Walmart. They also can ship it in two days from online, and even shows what local stores have it in stock (stock feature is not always accurate with various retail chains). Chewy, Petsmart nor Petco carry this. And only Amazon 3rd parties list it, and at nearly twice the market price. It is so hard to go into Walmart and leave with just cat litter. Since one store I was passing by only had one bag available, I hit another along my route and got more. At both Walmarts I purchased a ton of stuff besides the litter I stopped there to get. lol

Perhaps this really new as you said. Well, if we keep clearing out their shelves of it, maybe other pet suppliers will wise up to the money they're missing out and begin to stock it.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Walmart sometimes gets exclusive distribution of new products for a time. For a while they were the only source for Percil laundry detergent, for example.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sargon. Being that the national pet supply chains, Chewy.com and Amazon (excluding the price gougers) do not carry it, I agree with you. This makes me a little uneasy as I estimate I will need on hand about 7 to 8 of the 9 Lb. bags to get my kitties through two weeks. Six to fill after cleaning and two extra for topping off during the two weeks. The most I have every found on the shelves at one time is half dozen bags and I scoop up them all. I will have to rely on their website ordering and drop-off to stay ahead of this.

I have two more adult cat litter boxes to switch over and see how this works for them before I nail down my decision. At this point I am 98% sure I'm sticking with it for the long run. That leaves 1% to see how it works out with the other two kitties and the last percent to see if Wal-mart can continue to keep me stocked up. I'm not too concerned about their pricing (currently 98¢ a pound) going up a little (hoping it'll go down some) as the safety and health of my three rescues is the priority.

My reasoning for wanting this litter to be a winner for me, besides the mushroom dust clouds I get when I scoop and change out to new, is the fact that I have to believe my cats are inhaling their own mushroom cloud when they dig and cover. This clumping agent has to be getting into their respiratory and digestive system when they groom and clean their paws. I discovered yet another article in my web travels yesterday while searching for more information on sodium bentonite: Clumping Clay Kitty Litters: A Deadly Convenience?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sargon. Being that the national pet supply chains, Chewy.com and Amazon (excluding the price gougers) do not carry it, I agree with you. This makes me a little uneasy as I estimate I will need on hand about 7 to 8 of the 9 Lb. bags to get my kitties through two weeks. Six to fill after cleaning and two extra for topping off during the two weeks. The most I have every found on the shelves at one time is half dozen bags and I scoop up them all. I will have to rely on their website ordering and drop-off to stay ahead of this.

I have two more adult cat litter boxes to switch over and see how this works for them before I nail down my decision. At this point I am 98% sure I'm sticking with it for the long run. That leaves 1% to see how it works out with the other two kitties and the last percent to see if Wal-mart can continue to keep me stocked up. I'm not too concerned about their pricing (currently 98¢ a pound) going up a little (hoping it'll go down some) as the safety and health of my three rescues is the priority.

My reasoning for wanting this litter to be a winner for me, besides the mushroom dust clouds I get when I scoop and change out to new, is the fact that I have to believe my cats are inhaling their own mushroom cloud when they dig and cover. This clumping agent has to be getting into their respiratory and digestive system when they groom and clean their paws. I discovered yet another article in my web travels yesterday while searching for more information on sodium bentonite: Clumping Clay Kitty Litters: A Deadly Convenience?
i ran a bit low on the walnut, i did have a bag of the abound, grass litter, so i mixed them 1 bag of each. Seems to work well. still no dust, the walnut seems to help the grass with the odor control, and the tracking. The grass seems to help the walnut to clump a bit better. so... might be an option for you to try?

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Noted. If I encounter trouble with Wal-Mart retail or their online order/drop-off, I will use your suggestion. Thanks for the tip!

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good news! The tabby informed me today that she is over due for her Litter Maid's Premium Clumping Walnut litter to be changed out. She wanted to help me, so she flipped her litter box over on its side. This litter is a Win-Win for the both of us. Healthy for her and no more mushroom clouds for me when I scoop and change out. Odor control is ahhh...weird that either I'm insensitive to it or there isn't any after two weeks.

Now the other box with half corn litter and walnut is a different story. He's up for a change out in a couple of days, yet I felt the need to add some Arm & Hammer box deodorant for when I scoop. The corn litter is from the World's Best Cat Litter...which I don't care for due to the corn's odor when soiled, the dust and tracking. It was discounted due to a tear in the bag so I purchased it to see if its name held true.

The third box with the Litter Maid is progressing along well. The kitty was a little suspicious as I didn't transition it over. So I sprinkled a little of the discarded litter on the top and he took right to the Litter Maid Walnut. I'm satisfied with this new litter and my long search is over. Thanks Duckpond!