Litter issues - peeing everywhere

Mazer31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm a first time poster, so please let me know if I am not doing this right.

Last year, I got my first cat - I was a foster fail.

But from the start, she had litter issues. She just didn't like to use the litter box, and would hold her pee for days. (That caused quite the freak out, but she was vet checked multiple times and they said it wasn't a medical issue. It had happened as well with her prior fosters.) When she did pee, she would find anywhere else to go - her cat bed, the couch, etc. I've tried multiple types of litter as well as pee pads with no luck.

Noticing that it was usually on a blanket / towel if one was out, I then got her to a point where she would pee on towels. So for about six months, we did that and she was great. She had two litter boxes with towels in them and used those regularly. Per my vet's advice I did also leave a litter box with litter in it in case she ever wanted to try that again, but she never touched it.

We took a trip to my parents' place over Christmas. She was great while we were there, kept using her towel boxes. However, since coming home, she's gone back to finding various spots in my place to use to go to the bathroom again - her pillows, couches, a corner of the stairs she likes. She doesn't repeat the same locations, although that may be in part because I remove her access once it happens - so I take away the pillow / cat bed, and now have boxes along my couch and stairs. I thought I'd give her pillows back once she started regularly using her boxes again, but that hasn't happened.

I'm not sure if that's the best way to go - one thing that concerns me as I keep blocking places off is that, for lack of anywhere else, she may decide to go in my bed, which hasn't happened yet. I don't know if I should put one of her pillows and blankets back out on a pee pad, or if that would just be letting her get away with the behaviour?

One thing I do that kind of helps, as she still doesn't go often, is at the end of each day, I catch her and shut us in a small room with a towel box until she's gone to the bathroom. She really doesn't like that, though - she hates being picked up. And then once we're there, she whines and scratches at the door for a bit before using the box. And I would like her just to use the boxes on her own.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you mentioned that she's been to the vet, but in terms of specifics -- has she had tests that cleared her of UTI/crystals, bladder problems (e.g. cystitis), kidney issues, and joint pain? With inappropriate urination, 9 times out of 10, the cause is medical. She would've needed at least a urinalysis and an ultrasound to rule these out, ideally within the last couple months. Joint pain may have required an X-ray to assess the situation, if the vet determined she was in pain.

Is she declawed? That's a common cause of litterbox issues, sadly.

Have you noticed that she's tried to pee without success, which is what's leading to her holding urine? Or does she not try to go? What kind of diet does she have? Is it high moisture, or does she eat mainly kibble?

That said, there are habitual causes, especially if she's an older cat. Just want to make sure you've definitively ruled out all medical causes.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the above. And I am curious about her age - just in case that might have an impact of some sort on her behavior. If she is not a real young cat, there may be circumstances related to her previous life (before you) that could have caused her reluctance to use a litter box, especially one with litter. I know you said you've tried multiple litters, but how many different litter boxes have you tried? If you currently have a higher sided one, try ones that are lower in height, or vice-versa.

Since she resumed this behavior after a change in her current routine/environment (Christmas trip, it could be stress related. As mentioned above, an ultrasound or a perhaps a KUB (x-ray of the entire urinary tract) might be helpful in looking for any sort of bladder inflammation, which could point to cystitis - a common condition in high anxiety/easily stressed cats. Given her behavior, routine/regular checkups with the vet regarding urinary heatlh would be advised.

As far as your bed, you can always invest in a tarp or even a shower curtain to lay over the bed when you are not using it. The plastic can deter cats from peeing on it, and it will protect your bed should she choose to try and go there. Closing your door to the bedroom is perhaps an option. And, trying to get her to pee in a litter box when she doesn't want to, could backfire as you are making her associate the litter box with an unpleasant experience - it would seem she already finds the box(es) to be unpleasant as it is!

I am not saying anything in these articles will solve your problem, but they might be worth reading in case they trigger any thoughts on your part about possible causes and potential solutions.
Litterbox Problems? Here’s Why You Should Call Your Vet – TheCatSite Articles
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mazer31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for that, I will check those articles.

About the questions, I can't answer them all. With the vet, when the prior issues happened, she was still a foster, so it all happened via the shelter. I will reach out now to see what tests they did and if there were more they could do but the shelter couldn't cover.

She isn't declawed.

She seems to avoid going to the bathroom rather than try without anything happening. When I bring her to the room and she decides to go, she just pops in and pees. (Sometimes she spaces out a little while pooping, but the vet said that was normal.) She doesn't seem to indicate any distress.

For her diet, she gets wet food and kibble, but definitely prefers the kibble. I leave the wet food out for a couple hours and she usually only eats about half of it. (I've tried serving her more often, but that didn't change anything - she eats some from the evening feed and ignored the morning one.) She does have a fountain and a couple water bowls and I do see her drinking from them.

On her age, we're not sure because she was surrendered without much info. When they first told me about her, they told me she was 5. But then when I actually got her, the papers say 1 - 2 years old.

There may be circumstances from her previous life - although they don't have much info, as I said, she was definitely an anxious cat. She's on Zylkene. Part of the reason she came to me is they were looking for a quiet home for her with no kids or other pets. I had hoped she was improving while with me but now I'm concerned she's not.

I have both a deeper covered box and shallow open ones.

I guess I could shut her out of the bedroom, but she usually sleeps with me at night. I guess if it ever happens there, I would then shut her out. I feel bad though, because as she uses them for bathroom purposes, she's systematically losing all her comfy places to lie.

She does have a vet appointment in the first week of March (that I actually had to book back in December as the vet is super busy). Is this the type of thing I should call about now or can it wait until the booked appointment?

Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If her behavior isn't escalating more, I am not sure about the necessity of an earlier vet appointment since this has been going on the entire time you have had her, but it would be best to call them and tell them what is going on and if that should warrant scheduling her sooner. Sometimes, vets will notify you of a cancellation if you ask them to - assuming you can accommodate a possible short notice appointment. I would also ask the vet about her age, as 1-2 years vs. 5 is quite a bit of a difference.

From what I gather she has spent time in a shelter and with other fosters, so there could be litter box issues brought on by the conditions she experienced in those other places - dirty litter boxes, fighting over their use, or even intimidation from other cats while trying to use a litter box. And, who knows what set ups they may have had with their litter boxes.

I doubt the shelter would have put out the money for x-rays, etc. but it doesn't hurt to ask them - and get the records if they did.

I didn't mean to shut her out of your bedroom when you are in there, just when you are not. That was merely as a precaution since you are a bit worried she might resort to using your bed. You can certainly give her back a few places she liked to spend time if you think that will help her - especially considering you know she is an anxious cat. Plastic covers, on top of the bed or pillows, but underneath a washable blanket or towel might at least reduce cleaning needs.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, I think she is related to my cat. So many similarities. My cat (Tiny) also would hold her urine until she couldn't any longer and then just go wherever. I too was able to get her to go in unconventional litter boxes (an empty litter box, a litter box filled with dirt, a rug, etc. etc.) but every time she experienced a change, she would stop using her box and I'd have to figure out another creative solution. I have had to lock her in a crate to get her to use the litter box (but I actually have to physically place her inside of it.)

My cat did have chronic cystitis, and we had to switch to 100% raw diet. Her vet called her a "dry food addict" and said that it was irritating her bladder.

But, this wasn't the only solution:-/ At her bottom, she was much worse than what you are describing, and needed a multifaceted approach:-/

Wondering how big your space is? When she first came to your home, was she confined to a smaller space? Did she ever use a regular litter box, or was she always an unconventional urinator? Where does the poop go?

Since it seems like there are a lot of places that she uses for toileting, you might consider going back to some sort of confinement, especially since she seems to take herself to her litter box when closed in a room with it.

Alternatively, you could try putting her in the bathroom with her towel box 2 or 3 times a day, with the hope that eventually she would just start doing this on her own. You could try treating her to help make this a more pleasant experience. Especially if you decide to stop feeding dry, a crunchy treat would be extra high value, so I'm wondering if you could even lure her to the box that way since she doesn't like being picked up.

Is there anything in your home that could be stressing her out? A not so cat friendly roommate or partner? Previous pets? Dogs next door--anything like that?

The only thing that got my cat back to using actual litter was crate training. It is hard though, and def adds stress to everyone's life, so I would consider this a last resort. If you are interested in hearing how I did it though, let me know.

I also probably would not bring her with you when you travel :( I'm guessing her relationship with the litter box will always be tenuous, and easily disrupted.

Do you have lots of scratching options for her? Some cat trees? High up places for her to jump to? What is she like when she isn't urinating illegally--where does she hang out? Does she hide a lot, or does she seem comfortable hanging out on the couch etc?

You could also attempt to redefine the areas where she is urinating illegally, but since there are so many and since they shift, I'm not sure that this would work at this point.

Please keep us posted and let me know how I can help! I know how frustrating (and stinky) this is.

Last edited:

Mazer31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only thing that got my cat back to using actual litter was crate training. It is hard though, and def adds stress to everyone's life, so I would consider this a last resort. If you are interested in hearing how I did it though, let me know.

Do you have lots of scratching options for her? Some cat trees? High up places for her to jump to? What is she like when she isn't urinating illegally--where does she hang out? Does she hide a lot, or does she seem comfortable hanging out on the couch etc?

Well, it's nice to know she isn't the only one who is weird about litter!

So I'm in a condo, so it's not huge. When she first came, she had the run of the main floor, but I closed off the bedroom and upstairs area. She used the litter box the first two nights to pee, then it all went weird. I then realized she maybe had too much space so ended up closing her in my laundry room for a little while with her litter, and a comfy pillow. And she was happy in there at first, didn't come out even when the door was open. But she would hold everything, and then more often when she went would go on the pillow instead of in the litter. So that's when I started putting a towel on the pillow to try to catch it. Which led to a towel in the litter box. Which worked fine til the Christmas trip. I don't think there are any other stressors than that - no other changes in routine or new elements.

My concern about going back to confinement now is that for all she didn't want to come out of the laundry room when she first came now she meows and paws the door when we go in there. But I guess I could block the stairs and my bedroom again and cover the couch so she has less options.

She will go rogue for both poop and pee. For pooing she'll go kind of anywhere, but for pee, she usually does try to find something somewhat absorbent - so pillows or blanket or couch.

I do give her treats when she successfully uses the box, but she's clever. I've tried to lure her to the laundry room with treats before rather than catching her, but she figured it out and won't go for them when she can tell it's a trap to get her somewhere.

I do have some scratching options for her (a post and a couple boards) but she basically ignores them. I know she uses the carpets sometimes for clawing. She's very chill. Usually, left to herself, she just hangs out on one of her pillows, or in her carrier, or on the back of the couch. She hid a lot when she first came to me, but not really lately. A bigger piece of cat furniture is next on my list to get for her.

I think I will keep trying with trips to the litter box with treats and soothing (and some pillows out with a pee pad guard), but I will let you know if I want more info on the crate training. If it's really high stress though, I don't know that we want to go there yet.

Thanks for the comments!

Mazer31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whoops, I somehow did that last post as a quote but my answer is all within it, and I don't know how to edit it - sorry!

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck! It is really great that she goes when accompanied to the box! Yes, please keep us posted! Not sure if you've ever tried rabbit litter--some of those brands are very soft. Good luck!!!