Litter for Kittens, any recommendations

Rocko's mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 month old, realized litter is sticking to paws. Any recommendations for litter for Kittens?

Thank you,
Rocko's mommy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rocko's mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, and brand in mind? By chance

Pvanh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Boy, do I have a recommendation for litter! I've had cats...always, & finally hit on the perfect litter:
Line the bottom of the pan with wood pellets - the kind used for indoor, wood-pellet -burning stoves - to about an inch. On top of this, add a layer of cedar bedding (like for gerbils). I have used this mix for 5 or 6 years now, and it is the bomb! The wood pellets absorb the liquids, and the cedar bedding removes odors. No fancy clumping, of course, but I find it's not as offensive as clay to clean (there's so little odor!) And this is all - natural, so good for their paws. AND IT'S CHEAPER THAN THE REST!
Buy pellets at Home Depot/Lowes (they come in 40 lb bags). I find the cheapest cedar bedding at Walmart (also a huge bag, but much lighter weight).
Please try it; you'll be happy!

Rocko's mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Love this!!! Thank you for the advise. I am new to the game, but I am learning a lot thanks to great advise. Appreciate you responding

Rocko's mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I bought fresh step with Febreeze good price, but he hates scented so I'm on the hunt for another one

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
It's on the pricier side to invest into, but personally I use a non-clumping litter system akin to the Purina Breeze litter system (I'm from outside the US, so I use a Japanese litter system with a similar premise, as it's much cheaper here). You have a non-clumping antimicrobial-coated large pellet litter on top (which, by the way, is washable and reusable!) and pads that basically form gel when liquid hits them in a drawer on the bottom. It's similar to what P Pvanh has mentioned in premise, but imo it's lower effort, and I don't have to deal with the dust that tends to come with pellets and bedding :> As someone with respiratory issues, that's always a plus.

Generally, with two litterboxes, pads last me about 2 weeks on average, if Juma doesn't prefer one box over the other (which she will occasionally do), and I've bought litter maybe twice since starting to use the system over a year ago. You could also replace the gelling pads with antibacterially coated compressed wood cartridges (which is what I tend to use), but I don't think those are available in the US. If you keep an eye on it, you could definitely use those fabric pee pads they sell for dogs, or just use loose wood pellet in the drawer intended for the pee pad, but it would be more effort.

Rocko's mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is very smart thank you so much for the recommendation