Litter box

D gn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 2 cats, one of our kitties is a 3 year old. He’s a very large boy, just his build. We have 6 litter boxes in 3 different rooms. It’s an 11 room ranch style. The reason for posting is he sometimes doesn’t squat enough in the box, so he over shoots the back side of litter box. First we wondered if he was spraying, but then think he’s just not squatting low as usual. It’s not every time. We cleaned countless times, but then fabricated a higher back to the boxes. This has solved the issue ( for the time being). I am posting a photo to show what we did. Using a piece of another box, the same shape nestled onto to box. Extended the back several inches.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a good idea. You could also use a plastic storage box without the lid and cut a square out for him to easily get in.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom uses plastic storage tubs. She has gotten even bigger ones than this. Otherwise of her cats hangs her but out of the box to poop. Nick (in the photo) is just a weirdo who likes to stand as he poops. 🤣. I had to put a giant tub lid between my guys two high sided litter boxes to keep him from crawling from one litter box to the other (& getting wet sticky litter box paw from the ankle down. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️)

BED3E4FB-B9CF-4BF4-8696-BC2594ECD80D.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nice job! I've often recommended the high-sided litter boxes for cases like this, preferably with a side entrance. The side entrance means that as the cat steps in, his nose is almost against the opposite wall, and he will automatically turn the long way before doing his business. Just an extra detail to keep in mind, if you have to add some more "sheilding." "RED ALERT!!! RAISE SHEILDS!!!" Sorry, Star Trek creeps in on occasion!

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A side entrance litter box with cover can be a good solution.
This is the one I use: FRISCO Hooded Cat Litter Box, Gray, Large 20-in - Chewy.com (I think they have bigger ones as well, same style)
I took off the flip door so it's easier for the cats. They both like the boxes and never had any issues.

Recently I added a top entrance litter box after reading so many positive comments (FRISCO Top Entry Cat Litter Box, Gray, Large 23-in - Chewy.com)
I'm surprised that my male cat loves it and did not mind jumping up and down at all.
It also contains the litter very well so less cleanup afterwards.