Litter box woes

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We recently adopted two new kittens, Odin and Peaches.

08846E59-9D72-48BB-97CF-1560FD71A867.jpeg

Odin, the boy, doesn’t cover his poop after he goes to the bathroom. But he sure loves to step in it. How do I get my cat to cover his poop? My mom claims it’s a dominance thing, but I’m not quite sure.
03467310-C538-40A5-97B5-4BFAF4379E7B.jpeg

Mr. Poopy Pants Odin.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Pretty kitties!!!! How old is Odin? He might grow out of it. There are ways to help him to learn to cover it, but unless he is very, very young, they are not likely to work. The other thing to consider is litterbox size. If it is not really big, sometimes cats will go and then just get out because it is hard for them to move around in order to cover it. None of this necessarily applies to Peaches, as all cats are different - even siblings. Even with two kitties, you probably need more than one box, in case you don't already!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Pretty kitties!!!! How old is Odin? He might grow out of it. There are ways to help him to learn to cover it, but unless he is very, very young, they are not likely to work. The other thing to consider is litterbox size. If it is not really big, sometimes cats will go and then just get out because it is hard for them to move around in order to cover it. None of this necessarily applies to Peaches, as all cats are different - even siblings. Even with two kitties, you probably need more than one box, in case you don't already!
I have 7 cats. And 6 litter boxes. 2 in the laundry room, 2 in the living room, 2 in our bedroom.
They’re top entry litter boxes, they’re pretty big for 6 month old kitties. He scratches the sides of the litter box like he’s trying to clean up the litter, but never actually covers his poop, haha. I’m hoping the other cats will teach him 😬😬

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I use these litter boxes. Mainly because all of my cats do a really good job at covering their business. So they’re always flinging litter all over the place. And this keeps it in for the most part. They’re pretty big, and I have a 13 pound and 15 pound cat. They do just fine in them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, you could try a smaller box for him, but don't know how you would get only him to use it. Maybe the opposite of what I said is true for him - too big of a box???? He's lost in it - LOL?!? Gets overwhelmed?!?

Well, then work on firming up his poop!! Tbh, I have a 15+yo cat who has almost NEVER covered up her poop!! But, then I am only dealing with one! And, she is more inclined to step in her pee rather than her poop, but that is not always the case! Thankfully, her stools are usually 'firm'.

Edit: Forgive me for asking, but with that many cats, how do you know it is Odin with the loose stool??? Obviously, I have never had that many cats to know how you would keep track!!!!

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He scratches the sides of the litter box like he’s trying to clean up the litter, but never actually covers his poop, haha. I’m hoping the other cats will teach him 😬😬
My Ruby girl doesn't actually cover her poop either. She also tries, by scratching the side of the litter box. I've had her 6 years now, and she's 8 or 9-ish, so I think that's just the way it's going to be.

Your kittens are adorable, btw. :catlove:

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Ruby girl doesn't actually cover her poop either. She also tries, by scratching the side of the litter box. I've had her 6 years now, and she's 8 or 9-ish, so I think that's just the way it's going to be.

Your kittens are adorable, btw. :catlove:
Awe thank you! And hopefully if that’s the case, he learns not to step in it 🙈