Litter Box Suggestions

Calicat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My cat has used the same litterbox for years (Modcat) - she always pees in the same spot, right up against the edge of the front hole (where you enter the box) with her tail hanging out, but lately it goes right outside the front hole. Has anyone's cat done something similar nd found a solution. She's starting to not want to use the litterbox because of it :(

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My boxes are not covered and storage containers 18 inch high 25-30 inch long. It's possible it's not roomy enough for her anymore. It should be 2x the length of the cat and 3 inches of litter. How old is your cat? With uncovered litter boxes you will notice if she has a problem

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calicat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for the reply. She is 14 and has used this box for the last 5 years. Most boxes are all the same height at the opening, but I will look into a longer one...She doesn't like to get in and move around and prefers to always pee in the same spot.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Because she is senior go to target or cosco for a bigger one. It's possible she has arthritis. Vet can tell from an xray or examining. I notice my cat had crystals because she was straining to pee. If she as arthritis she will have trouble getting in

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine pees the same way (facing away from the entrance, with tail over the lip of the entrance). I use this box (FRISCO High Sided Cat Litter Box, Extra Large 24-in (Free Shipping) | Chewy). I "shovel" the litter so that it's not very deep in the middle (maybe 1 inch), and pile it higher at the ends of the box (like 4 inches), sloped kind of like a skate park ramp. Maybe that kind of litter shaping can help? Since they effectively end up squatting "lower" when standing in the shallower middle part.

Edit: like this: https://www.nycgovparks.org/pagefiles/28/06_skate.jpg

Last edited:

Calicat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine pees the same way (facing away from the entrance, with tail over the lip of the entrance). I use this box (FRISCO High Sided Cat Litter Box, Extra Large 24-in (Free Shipping) | Chewy). I "shovel" the litter so that it's not very deep in the middle (maybe 1 inch), and pile it higher at the ends of the box (like 4 inches), sloped kind of like a skate park ramp. Maybe that kind of litter shaping can help? Since they effectively end up squatting "lower" when standing in the shallower middle part.

I will give that a try, thanks so much for the suggestion!

Calicat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will give that a try, thanks so much for the suggestion!
What type of litter do you use? Wondering if she’s doesn’t like the texture of hers anymore-worlds best.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Dr. Elsey's Ultra Clumping Cat Litter (unscented!). I feel like the bags vary in quality -- some tend to be dusty but some are amazingly dust-free. :dunno:

Calicat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This really helped, thank you so much. Was definitely using too much litter!