Litter box smell with kitty who sprays

GHsaltie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two girls. My older 7yr old sprays when she pees, and it smells sooo bad. I use covered litter boxes and Dr elseys clumping clay litter. I scoop once sometimes twice daily and deep clean once a week or every other week. I've just now started to try out lining the pans with puppy pads, but I can tell that is going to get expensive fast. Anybody have tips or tricks they use in situations like this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GHsaltie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She had her yearly check up in March, and last year she had a urinalysis and blood work done with nothing abnormal found. She has always had very potent urine. Per my vets recommendation I added canned food to her diet, to help her hydration. He said it's probably just an individual thing and she has really stinky urine.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It wasn't clear from your post, but are you taping the pee pads to the top of the box? That would be the best way to catch the urine. I would say just do it on the side she sprays, but if you do that, she'll probably change to spray a different side instead, so all three sides. BTW the pee pads were a good idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GHsaltie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
K Kflowers yes I'm taping them all the way to the top. And just like you mentioned once I covered her usual side she picked a different one so I have to do all sides.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Because of the 7 year old spraying, either thoroughly wash th em after every use or do not use covers. At least 2 litter boxes. Mine are from storage bins because of the length and width. if your cat sprays it might be helpful.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
delay in this post is it took me awhile to make the connections

You can make an open top walled litter box using a large storage box. Cut the opening in one of the smaller ends. Then you can either put a litter box in there or just use it as the box, either way you will want some litter on the floor of the box to catch the urine. The open top will allow the smell to dissipate, you want this because if the smell in the box becomes too intense the cat will stop using the box.

I've had covered boxes before with the 'charcoal" filter in the top. I never found that the filter helped at all. Since mine would use the litter and not the walls of the lid, cleaning it twice a day keep it scent free.

I'm sympathetic, truly, I had a neutered tom who marked beside the doors and occasionally here and there his whole life. He saw several vets, nothing could found that was wrong with him. In the end, I believe the problem was the neighbor's also neutered tom who sprayed our doors every morning and night. Nothing could be done about him, he covered two blocks every day.

Since spraying on the walls is more territory marking than peeing, try to be happy she's doing it in the box. Then look at your outside doors about 9 inches up from the ground. Does it look like there are water drips on them? If you have a metal plate in the bottom of the door there may be some color change. This would mean that a cat is spraying your doors. If so this might be making your cat territorial. All I can suggest is clean the doors every day with either white vinegar or an enzyme cleaner. If you use an ammonia based cleaner both your cat and the tom will think there is another cat there.