Litter Box questions

Destiny77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi y'all. I am new to this site this is my first post. I just got a cat 2 months ago she is 8 years old and declawed. She is a Maine Coon cross so she is very furry and long-haired and rather large. My question is how many of you have female cats that squirt their pee on the litter box wall instead of squatting? I have never owned a strictly indoor cat before and I have never seen this Behavior. It is not new so I don't believe she has any kind of a UTI. Just curious how many others do this and how do you keep your litter box cleaner from the urine on the wall without dumping the box constantly

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there. I have an 18+ yo cat who never really squats to pee, mostly she stands up. She sometimes pees on the 'wall' of the box as well, and never pees other than on the perimeter of the box (never in the center). I tilt the box away from the pee clump, scoop it out, and then spray a cleaner on the 'wall' and wipe/dry clean with paper towels. If there are any 'residual pieces' that break away, I use a plastic spoon to scoop those out. For Feeby, since she goes almost every time in the same general location, I find piling up the litter in that general area to no less than 3-4 inches helps a lot. I am home all day so I can also do this routine almost after every 'pee session'.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Phoebe (aged about eight) also manages to hit the wall on occasion - not just the side of the tub (a baby bath). Doesn’t matter too much since it’s in the bathroom. She does sort of half squats often enough.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I try to shovel the litter to be higher on the ends with a lower center space for her to stand on.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My female, Kaia who is 4 years old, constantly pees up the sides. It was going over the edge and would then run under the box and under the freezer the box sits beside, and I’d have to pull everything out and wash the floor. I have now lined the walls around the box and down into the box with black garbage bags. I cut the bags open so they’re nice and big, then tape them to the wall and to the side of the box using duct tape. When she pees up the side I can see it, and when I scoop I wash the garbage bag in the area she peed with Natures Miracle and paper towel. We use a huge drywall mixing tub as a litter box, so it’s not like she doesn’t have enough room. She just likes to pee on the sides I guess! Thankfully this box isn’t in a spot that anyone sees as it’s pretty unsightly with the garbage bag surrounding it, lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Destiny77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. I have an 18+ yo cat who never really squats to pee, mostly she stands up. She sometimes pees on the 'wall' of the box as well, and never pees other than on the perimeter of the box (never in the center). I tilt the box away from the pee clump, scoop it out, and then spray a cleaner on the 'wall' and wipe/dry clean with paper towels. If there are any 'residual pieces' that break away, I use a plastic spoon to scoop those out. For Feeby, since she goes almost every time in the same general location, I find piling up the litter in that general area to no less than 3-4 inches helps a lot. I am home all day so I can also do this routine almost after every 'pee session'.
Thank you for your reply. She always pees on the back wall and I was just wondering what a good thing to wipe it off would be. I don't want to deter her from using the Box because of a smell or have a toxic chemical. course every time I do that I have to take the lid off. It's hard for me being a disabled senior, but I want to keep the bacteria and smell down. I was just throwing some litter against the back wall of the box and that would soak it up and leave a layer of litter dust but that was killing my sinuses as it would go through out my whole house for about an hour probably not good for my kitty either.

Destiny77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Phoebe (aged about eight) also manages to hit the wall on occasion - not just the side of the tub (a baby bath). Doesn’t matter too much since it’s in the bathroom. She does sort of half squats often enough.
Unfortunately mine only pees on the back wall of the tub, it's been many years since I owned an indoor cat, and back then my litter box was only about 4 in tall. I've never seen a cat only pee on the wall LOL

Destiny77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female, Kaia who is 4 years old, constantly pees up the sides. It was going over the edge and would then run under the box and under the freezer the box sits beside, and I’d have to pull everything out and wash the floor. I have now lined the walls around the box and down into the box with black garbage bags. I cut the bags open so they’re nice and big, then tape them to the wall and to the side of the box using duct tape. When she pees up the side I can see it, and when I scoop I wash the garbage bag in the area she peed with Natures Miracle and paper towel. We use a huge drywall mixing tub as a litter box, so it’s not like she doesn’t have enough room. She just likes to pee on the sides I guess! Thankfully this box isn’t in a spot that anyone sees as it’s pretty unsightly with the garbage bag surrounding it, lol.
Thanks. My box is very tall in the back, I'm sure glad she goes in and turns around or she would just pee on my floor. And Nature's Miracle does not have a strong smell and is okay around cats, not toxic?

Destiny77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use a litter box with 10" high walls.
The back of mine where she pees is tall I'm just curious how many other cats do that and what to wipe the wall off with that won't deter her from using the box or be harmful to her health

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The back of mine where she pees is tall I'm just curious how many other cats do that and what to wipe the wall off with that won't deter her from using the box or be harmful to her health
Feeby walks into her uncovered box, and instantly pees, so it is in the 'front' wall of the box. If she has to poop, she turns around and uses the other side of the box - but not on the walls. I use Spic-n-Span Antibacterial Cleaner - spray a paper towel, wipe the area, and then use dry paper towel to re-wipe that same area. No issues from Feeby. Every cat can be different.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately mine only pees on the back wall of the tub, it's been many years since I owned an indoor cat, and back then my litter box was only about 4 in tall. I've never seen a cat only pee on the wall LOL
Depends whether Phoebe stands up while she’s peeing - you know how they sometimes start more or less squatting but then the back end gets higher? :lol: