Litter Box problems - need litter type advice i think

koolbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all
I have read threads and posts and other info about litter box problems and am doing some of the right things. I think i've figured out the issue though.
Backround, i adopted a 12 week old kitty on Tuesday, he was box trained at the shelter but since home he prefers to poop on carpet in the living room, urinate too sometimes. He has peed in the box several times and pooped once as he is now confined to a small room.
I think it's the litter. i have clumping litter. he liked to put his front paws in his water bowl when he drinks and i think he doesn't like it sticking to his paws. He walked in the wet shower a while a go, then went to the box, he peed then started kicking his legs and sort of frantically leapt out and ran and shook his legs all over and groomed and groomed his paws.

Any advice on a different kind of litter? I really like the clumps as it keeps it so clean and odor free. My house is on the market so that's a huge issue right now
Thanks so much!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would use clay litter if it were me. Clumping litter on small kittens can work underneath their paws and cause some major problems. Use clay litter, add a second box and see if that works. If he is still missing the litter pan take him to the vet- as he could have stressed himself out enough to make himself ill

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crystals work okay too, my guys like them. With 12 kitties though it was getting expensive. I try to use none clumbing litter until they are around a year old.
For oder control I would just put alittle non clumbing in and change it daily. Just dump the whole thing and wash it out. Hope your little guys starts using the box for you soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

koolbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i went out and bought clay regular litter - let's hope it works!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

koolbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i found some really cheap at Wal-mart and so far so good. He has used it consitently and actually stays in it to dig and cover and doesn't leap out!!

THANKS i'm so happy