Litter Box Problem.

UnidentifiedFluffyObject

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I just adopted 2 cute ginger kittens. But they driving me crazy, they never use their litter boxes for pooping and only for peeing. I already using 2 litter boxes plus 1 extra, changing them every day, also they have no health problem or anything. And they still continuing to poop outside, can anyone tell me what's wrong with my kittens or what I did wrong?

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long ago did you adopt them? The first week it's better for them to be in a small room of the house with their litter trays, bedding, bowls and toys so they can de-stress, get used to the smell and sounds of the new place and know where their litter boxes are.

Do you know their history? Were they ferals? Some cats born outside find litter boxes confusing.

Have they seen a vet yet? It's important that when you get a cat (or a couple of cats) that they see the vet within two weeks of you getting them. If they have been, how old did the vet estimate they were?

Do their stools look solid but not too hard?

If they've only been with you for a few days it could be stress. They may benefit from a feliway diffuser or something similar. They may benefit from being in the bathroom, laundry or something similar for a few more days and see how things go after that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UnidentifiedFluffyObject

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long ago did you adopt them? The first week it's better for them to be in a small room of the house with their litter trays, bedding, bowls and toys so they can de-stress, get used to the smell and sounds of the new place and know where their litter boxes are.

Do you know their history? Were they ferals? Some cats born outside find litter boxes confusing.

Have they seen a vet yet? It's important that when you get a cat (or a couple of cats) that they see the vet within two weeks of you getting them. If they have been, how old did the vet estimate they were?

Do their stools look solid but not too hard?

If they've only been with you for a few days it could be stress. They may benefit from a feliway diffuser or something similar. They may benefit from being in the bathroom, laundry or something similar for a few more days and see how things go after that.
I adopted them for about a week now, I letting them free to roam inside the house and I don't think they feel stress because they are playful and get used to the house quick.

Their physical is healthy with no urine problem because I don't see them cry/meow when they go to pee. They have solid stools with golden color (sorry to be graphic). So I don't think they need a vet for that.

I got them from a friend this is the first time I've owned cats so I'm confused

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you go back to your friend and ask whether they have had that problem when they were at his/ her house? Also, ask what litter they used.

Don't worry, I asked :lol: If the stools are yellowish you may have a problem. What are you feeding them?

When you ask your friend what he/she fed them also.

When you get a cat or cats you should feed them the same thing as the owner fed them for a week or so until they get used to your house then you slowly start mixing the food that you want to feed them in with the food they were eating. You should do it gradually over the period of a week. Kittens are may get diarrhoea when they are fed something they are not used to eating. You should also put the litter that they had been using and do the same with that ie gradually change it over to what you wish to use.

Something you need to know is that change stresses most cats out and they tend to hide their illnesses. I'm not saying that your cats are ill, I'm just letting you know that that's something they do.

If that's your cats in your profile icon, they are beautiful.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi and welcome to TCS!

great advice from M moorspede !

may i ask -- how old are your two kittens (approximately)? and, what size house do you have -- like square feet (approximately)? i ask because young kittens are like (human) toddlers, when they have to 'go' they many times need to 'go' right now! are your three litter boxes spread out through your house?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely try a different brand of litter in one of the boxes, it is not unusual for cats to prefer a certain kind or type of litter for each function. It sounds to me to be the type of litter they don't like since they are using it for urination.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scoop up their poop when they poop outside of the box and place it inside the litter box. They will recognize the scent of their own poop, that should jostle them into understanding that the litter box isn't just for tinkling.;)

Terry Johnson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I just adopted 2 cute ginger kittens. But they driving me crazy, they never use their litter boxes for pooping and only for peeing. I already using 2 litter boxes plus 1 extra, changing them every day, also they have no health problem or anything. And they still continuing to poop outside, can anyone tell me what's wrong with my kittens or what I did wrong?
Sad to say I had this same problem, we did the same thing, two kittens, one took to me, Pinkey other to her, Baby Baby. Baby Baby still with us but my Pinkey, no, he tried to pee on our bed so as a punishment i put him out side for the night and I have never seen him again, I think he got run over, I loved him, he loved me. I regret this every day I wake up, he waited for me to get home from work, she said he called for me all the time and went from one end of the house to other, so here is what I found, do not use scented litter or any thing that would not be natural, I found out that putting a little out side dirt may work, in other words it was my fault I lost the best friend you could have, so my best advise is work at it if you love them. Keep looking on the internet, this is where I found out it was my fault, for not knowing a cat is really a clean animal, they just don't want to get anything on them.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted them for about a week now, I letting them free to roam inside the house and I don't think they feel stress because they are playful and get used to the house quick.

Their physical is healthy with no urine problem because I don't see them cry/meow when they go to pee. They have solid stools with golden color (sorry to be graphic). So I don't think they need a vet for that.

I got them from a friend this is the first time I've owned cats so I'm confused
Welcome to TCS! The other posters have mostly given excellent suggestions, and something else I'd add is to look at the tutorials here on TCS, because you're starting at Cats 101, so to speak. Another good source of help especially with litterbox issues may be cat behaviorist Jackson Galaxy -- he hosts "MY CAT FROM HELL" on Animal Planet on satellite/cable TV and has videos on YouTube as well as several books. He is absolutely wonderful at helping people who don't know cats to become very good at sharing their lives with felines! Best of luck! (I would also suggest providing another type of litter, since they may not care much for the litter they have; and the suggestion to put the poop in the litterbox is a very good one. They will learn that the box is "for both".

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've gotten some truly excellent advice here! The only thing I would add is to take them to the vet so you know for certain that they have a clean bill of health. Anytime you adopt an animal you should always start with vet visit. Good luck!

UnidentifiedFluffyObject

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you go back to your friend and ask whether they have had that problem when they were at his/ her house? Also, ask what litter they used.

Don't worry, I asked :lol: If the stools are yellowish you may have a problem. What are you feeding them?

When you ask your friend what he/she fed them also.

When you get a cat or cats you should feed them the same thing as the owner fed them for a week or so until they get used to your house then you slowly start mixing the food that you want to feed them in with the food they were eating. You should do it gradually over the period of a week. Kittens are may get diarrhoea when they are fed something they are not used to eating. You should also put the litter that they had been using and do the same with that ie gradually change it over to what you wish to use.

Something you need to know is that change stresses most cats out and they tend to hide their illnesses. I'm not saying that your cats are ill, I'm just letting you know that that's something they do.

If that's your cats in your profile icon, they are beautiful.
I'm feeding them dry food just like my friend did, they don't have diarrhea. And thanks!
hi and welcome to TCS!

great advice from M moorspede !

may i ask -- how old are your two kittens (approximately)? and, what size house do you have -- like square feet (approximately)? i ask because young kittens are like (human) toddlers, when they have to 'go' they many times need to 'go' right now! are your three litter boxes spread out through your house?
My cats only about 1 month old. I live in a small house and no more than 322.917 square feet.

I put 2 litter boxes on the first floor and the 3rd on the 2nd floor, each one far away from their food and accessible easy.
Scoop up their poop when they poop outside of the box and place it inside the litter box. They will recognize the scent of their own poop, that should jostle them into understanding that the litter box isn't just for tinkling.;)
I will do this and hope it works.

Thanks all for the replies and helps. If I try and do everything for 2 more months and that doesn't work I might have to send them back to to my friend and I don't want to do that to my beautiful cats

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you giving them any wet canned food? Sometimes, when you feed your cat only dry food, their poop is too hard and it hurts coming out. They associate the litter box with pain, so they go on the floor instead. My female cat did this. Try giving at least half a can of Friskies or a whole can of Fancy Feast per day.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm feeding them dry food just like my friend did, they don't have diarrhea. And thanks!

My cats only about 1 month old. I live in a small house and no more than 322.917 square feet.

I put 2 litter boxes on the first floor and the 3rd on the 2nd floor, each one far away from their food and accessible easy.

I will do this and hope it works.

Thanks all for the replies and helps. If I try and do everything for 2 more months and that doesn't work I might have to send them back to to my friend and I don't want to do that to my beautiful cats
I lived in 332 sq. ft. with my 3 cats for a year and only 1 litterbox -- no problems whatsoever.
Just something to think about: for me, and for other caring people, adoption is for LIFE, through thick and thin, just like loyalty to other family members. No matter what, there are ways to solve problems without betraying and abandoning loved ones. We've been through all kinds of things through the years, and I would never for one second even think of parting from my beloved feline family members.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amen, Tarasgirl. If my partner of almost eighteen years had a stroke and needed me 27/7 I would absolutely be there for him. And I feel EXACTLY the same way about my cats. I chose to bring these beautiful animals into my home, and when I did, it was for in sickness and in health. My cats are family. Just because they aren't perfect doesn't mean that I'm chucking them out.

UnidentifiedFluffyObject

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I let them stay in a room with 2 litter boxes, made them stop to go to other rooms and they pooped in these litter boxes but still going to poop outside of litter boxes. They improved a bit now.

Amen, Tarasgirl. If my partner of almost eighteen years had a stroke and needed me 27/7 I would absolutely be there for him. And I feel EXACTLY the same way about my cats. I chose to bring these beautiful animals into my home, and when I did, it was for in sickness and in health. My cats are family. Just because they aren't perfect doesn't mean that I'm chucking them out.
I know but this is the first time I having cats and I'm just confused and feeling a bit tired, but you both are right I will try to work this out for both of my cats.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*They sure wouldn't do it to you!*

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I let them stay in a room with 2 litter boxes, made them stop to go to other rooms and they pooped in these litter boxes but still going to poop outside of litter boxes. They improved a bit now.

I know but this is the first time I having cats and I'm just confused and feeling a bit tired, but you both are right I will try to work this out for both of my cats.
Good! And of course you need to keep the boxes scooped and clean. Cats are the cleanest animals, far cleaner than humans could ever dream of being. They will not use a box if it has been used too much and not cleaned.

Cphillips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You said they are only one month old? They truly may not understand litterboxes. I have a 4 week old kitten and she is JUST starting to stand in a litter box, let alone actually use it.

I will let others chime in but if they are only a month old... They need some more help than an adoptable age (8-10 week) old kitten...