Litter box placement advice

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
have been preparing for getting either a pair of kittens or single cat at 1yr old but had to put off due to extra work duties.
i wanna keep my litter robot in my bedroom where the kitten/cat will sleep.
But read somewhere that they prefer not be in the same place as the litter box.
Is this true?
I dont want to put the litter box in the kitchen as wife fussy on this.
So any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, you are confining them to the bedroom temporarily or want it permanent? I have the litter boxes in my bedroom but the cats don't necessarily sleep in there all night. They roam around and sleep between my room and the living room. I also have a litter box in the finished basement but they really don't use that more than once a week. You should have one box per cat plus a spare. 2 kittens=3 boxes. Spread them out in the house so there is one available when needed. I agree about not in the kitchen. Not too appetizing . :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine is apartment. So basically not a huge place. Only putting the litter robot coz it saves the trouble of manual clearing.

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The reality is the cats really make the decision about the litter box type and placement :) Some are fine with litter robots, some are not. Some are fine with one litter box in a bedroom, some are not (especially if they are a little scared of you at first, which is normal - they may be scared to approach your bedroom). So you can try it, but be open to change if it doesn't work.

We have an open plan downstairs in our townhouse, so our downstairs litter box is in the bathtub of the guest bathroom. We move it if someone is staying over that needs to use that shower, otherwise the cats seem fine with it and use it and the one in the upstairs bathroom regularly (big covered multi-cat box). We have a 3rd one in our master bathroom next to our bedroom, and the cats go in it (we see paw prints) but never use it, go figure.

Keep in mind you'll also need to think about space for a cat tree, scratching post, and/or other furniture that kitty can 'own' as theirs. Good luck and I hope you find the a purrfect kitty or kitties to bring home!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We've had cats for over 40 years and have always kept the litter box in the bathroom with no problem. One reason is because it's easier to clean up litter from a tile floor. The cat(s) seems to be comfortable since the bathroom is separate from the other rooms of the house.

Here is a thread about litter box placement: Litter Box Placement

Here's an Article that answers most questions about setting up, placement and choosing the best litter box:
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – TheCatSite Articles