Litter Box Issues!

rebeccalynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I have 3 kittens who are all seven months old.  We got them from the same litter and they all look identical.  But one of my boys, Oliver, has never pooped inside a litter box.  When we contacted our vet about it she told us that he might just not like the way that the litter feels on his feet or bottom.  The other two kittens, Zazu and Bailey don't seem to care what litter we put in the box, thank god since we have been changing the type of litter everytime one runs out.  It's not like Oliver doesn't know where the litter box is, he uses it to pee in and then poops on the floor right in front of it.  We have tried almost all of the litter that both of our near by Walmarts supply.  We have moved on to buy litter at our local Ocean State Job Lot, Petco, and PetSmart.  None of the litters that we have tried have changed it.  I'm starting to worry that he doesn't use the litter box because he's the "alpha" or so our vet says.  I was wondering if anyone else has this problem or if anyone has any suggestions on how to solve it. All suggestions are welcomed and gratefully appreciated! 

Thanks so much,

A very in need cat owner and her very hopeless kitten. 

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have more then one litter box? If not try getting another box so you have at least 2. rule of thumb is 1 box per cat and 1 extra. Some cats won't go in a box that another cat has used.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Also some cats won't poo where they wee..
  Try at least three litter boxes and keep them all as clean as possible.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When the kitten poops outside of the litter box, you can take the poo and bury it int the litter box.  This may attract him as he will smell is own scent.  Definitely get more litter boxes.  THe golden rule is one litter box per cat plus one extra.  You need to have 4 litter boxes.  You also can try Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract. You can use it straight or mix it with your current litter.  It has special herbs that attract cats to it.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sadie is 10 years old and a couple of years ago she just quit pooping in the litter box.  She'll pee in it but as far as pooping, No Thank you very much!  She's just very lucky that I adore her and I put up with her and her quirky ways.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rebeccalynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help everyone.  He is still pooping on the floor even with all the suggestions, he has one litter box that is entirely for just him and even that doesn't help anything.  The vet says that he just doesn't like the way litter feels on his bum compared to the tile in the bathroom. :/

adering

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm having a similar problem with my cat. However, my cat WILL use the box when put into the box. I am also immediately feeding the cat after she eliminates, hoping that she will start associating the act of using the box with the sound of the can top being pulled back.

Lots of luck.