Litter box is a playground

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The 3 "terrors" have a new "lets drive mom crazy" behavior
. They like playing in the litter boxes. They put a toy and then kick it around inside the box. The kittens then jump in and out of the box. Sometimes they bury the toy then dig it up. By the time they are done the box is half empty and the cat litter is all over the place. 

I have 5 boxes lined up. The kittens choose 2 (different every time) to do their stuff.

Is this a temporary behavior? 

I do scold them (hissing, NO, psst) and often I get the toy and toss it far, far away from the boxes. By the time they find the toy, they seem to lose interest in the box, until the next day that is. 

This is crazy! 

ibiscribe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hehe, my three did that too. Up to and including bunny-kicking clods of pee-soaked litter until they exploded in a shower onto the carpet. :X

Fortunately it WAS temporary, (I suspect) because as they got bigger it became impossible for more than one of them to fit inside at the same time, and there was no room to play in it anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hehe, my three did that too. Up to and including bunny-kicking clods of pee-soaked litter until they exploded in a shower onto the carpet. :X
Heavens! 
 I forgot to mention, the kittens play when the boxes are clean. I hope they outgrow this madness before they start with the "used" boxes. 

jackie celko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You don't say how old the kittens are.  Playing in the litter box is very common in younger kittens. In older kittens, this is likely the result of boredom.   It is sort of like a toilet training childs fascination with the bathroom.  Generally, they outgrow it and become more serious and sometimes more private about the litter box.  

I would suggest keeping toys out of the litter box area if it's in a separate room, using a box that discourages kicking, higher sides (but not to high for the kittens to get in comfortably or a covered one if they will tolerate it.   Throw away toys that smell like litter.  In the box, and out it goes.

Try to exercise the kittens with a string toy or laser toy.  A tired kitten will get into less trouble.

Like the mother of all creatures going through what amounts to the terrible twos, know that this is a blessing.  Adolescence is coming.