Litter box help

Ezavora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 kitties, 1 resident adult and a new adult ive had for 2 months or so. Their transition went well and both ate well and used litter box. My resident cat plays rough and chases new cat and recently seems to be taunting her when she's using litter box. (I have 2 boxes). Now new kitty is pooping and peeing around the house. Right now I have new cat separated in a room with her own box and food. Any suggestions on how to improve the situation? How can I correct resident cat behavior?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The normal rule is one litter box each cat plus one. If you can find a place for another box in a different room , maybe the new cat might take themself off to use it in peace. But I've got a feeling your having the same problem I had. My oldest was bugged by the kitten everytime he heard him digging he ran to him. I ended up getting lidded boxes, that helped because it was harder for the younger cat to get in the box when older cat was in there. Plus older cat couldn't see younger cat watching. maybe it would work for you. Good luck.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would get at least one if not a few more boxes and place them around your home. I would also reconsider their placement. You want to make sure they have multiple points of exit and entry, so the cats don't feel like they can be ambushed while using the box (ie not in a closet or a corner.) You could try a hooded box like Tik cat's mom suggested, but I've had more success with hoodless boxes because then the cats can survey their environment while doing their business. Good luck! Let us know if this doesn't solve the problem!