Litter box habits

Raine190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone know why a cat doesn’t cover his pee/poop after using the litter box? The stray I recently brought inside is using his litter box fine, but never covers it up. I know it’s a natural tendency in cats to cover, and this is the first time I’ve seen (and smelled!!) this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have a cat, Feeby, found as a stray 12+ years ago. She rarely covers her 'stuff' in the litter box. Given she is 16+ yo, I don't expect her to change. Some cats do over time, but not always. You might just have one like Feeby!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have several cats who don’t cover either and some that stay in the litter box scratching and scratching to cover it...cats like people are different. Lol

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Does anyone know why a cat doesn’t cover his pee/poop after using the litter box? The stray I recently brought inside is using his litter box fine, but never covers it up. I know it’s a natural tendency in cats to cover, and this is the first time I’ve seen (and smelled!!) this.
Usually in the wild, cats cover their food and pee or poop so that other cats or animals or predators don't know that they are around. Some leave their pee and poop without covering them is to show that they are around and signals 'Don't Mess With Me' to deter others into it's territory. It's a form of territory marking.

If your cat doesn't covers after his business, you can try catching him doing his business the next time and after he's done, hold him gently and hold his front paw and perform a covering action. Do that several times and see if it catches on. If it does, he could be a fast learner and if he doesn't, then it's just his natural instinct since he has been living as an outdoor. So, if a cat that doesn't cover up, it's pretty natural and we as slaves, we just have to be diligence in our work in keeping the litterbox clean at all times just like we like our toilets to be clean 😉

Last edited: