Litter box disputes

GreenIvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat has recently begun messing with his sister while she’s using the litter box. She gets annoyed and growls at him a bit. I have no idea what the problem is. The litter box is cleaned twice daily and I know he doesn’t need to use it, he just kinda sticks his paw and annoys her.
I’m concerned this might turn into a problem as she has already peed in a plant pot once because he was using the litter box. This happened recently so I’m still a bit surprised with her 🤷🏽‍♀️
Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. Not sure why this would have just recently cropped up - how old are these cats, and how long have they been together? Does he deliberately seek her out when she is in the box? The first thing to do to try to alleviate the issue is to get another litterbox and see if that helps the situation. The rule of thumb is one box per cat, plus one. So, in your case, that would be 3 - but, you can try to see if you can stop the issue by at least having two. You can try at first to set them near each other, if that doesn't stop the problem - but they are using both of them, you can gradually move one a bit of a way from the other so that they are eventually in different rooms/parts of the house. If the current one you have is covered, you might want to add a second, initially without the cover - or, vice-versa.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GreenIvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, they are 3 1/2 yo, I adopted them when they were 4 mo. They are both sterilized and healthy.
Yes, he seeks her out, waits in front of the box (it has a cover). He sticks his paw in and kinda taunts her.
I’ll see if another litter box will help. Should I let them both use each box?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should I let them both use each box?
At first, I wouldn't restrict use of the boxes for either. But, certainly get one without a cover and see if that makes a difference. It would seem to me that he is making a game out of it - maybe because it is covered? I am not sure how you would go about keeping a separate box for each - but, if nothing else works, yes, you could try that.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner that it sounds like a game. You could also add some play sessions for him. Mine usually use the box after a meal so distract him after eating. If you have some music on at the same time it will be harder for him to hear her in the box.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Great ideas! My cats favorite game is hide and seek so having a cover makes the litter box entertaining. My boxes are not covered but my cat Maggie sometimes would try to play when Peaches was in it. Hope removing the top helps. Eventually Maggie grew out of it. She was 3 yrs old now 6. When I come home from work they get up from their nap,use the litterbox,play, then eat

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd also keep that 2nd box in a different area so that they don't have to necessarily pass each other while using it. Cats do not like being ambushed while going to the bathroom so separating the boxes should also help. And I agree about not using the lid too. Being able to see the other cat approaching would help.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
put it where their "territory" is. Maggie's is the living room,Peaches,bathroom and bedroom

GreenIvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Guys, I got another litter box, it’s in another room, it’s uncovered, but the problem is still there. He still runs to the box whenever he hears her using it.

AND, now they’re both using both boxes 🤦‍♀️ The old one is for pooping and the new one for peeing. Apparently 🤷🏽‍♀️

She has to try at least a few times to get things done because he is always there with her! He, on the other hand, is now patrolling both boxes. I don’t know what’s going on, but she has also recently pooped in another plant pot (which I am grateful for, at least it’s not on the floor or somewhere worse). I’m getting pretty worried... any advice will be appreciated.

Can it possibly be that he has become more territorial? Can vets botch sterilization procedures so that males become more aggressive with time? I’ve noticed other changes in him, too. He has tried mounting her and is constantly butting in where she is, as if he is claiming the spot for himself.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet can check his hormone levels to see if he still has a level above what he should have after being neutered. He is bigger than she is, yes? Can one of the boxes be placed in an area that she can get to that he cannot?

The other angle is that he is trying to establish dominance over her, and if she can't fend for herself, you will have to intervene. I m getting the sense he is territorial with her in other aspects - food/water dishes, cat trees/perches? He might need time outs at this point - picked up, told "NO" or a hiss and put into timeouts (a closed room for just a couple of minutes), then let out and ignored for a bit.

GreenIvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The food and water bowls are not an issue, she is clearly dominant there and he lets her eat first. The same goes for treats. I can’t really tell if its dominance or pure boredom. The problem is he is really particular about playtime. I can’t get him to play, he is always the one who decides where and when and it’s always short. I just can’t figure him out, I see there’s something he wants from me that I’m not providing but can’t figure out what.

I’ll try harder with playtime, that could help lower his energy a little. And as soon as this crazy pandemic is over, I’m getting him checked out.
Thanks for the tips!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds like my cat Maggie. At 6 yrs old, she no longer tries to play with Peaches while she's using the litterbox.but she did at 3 yrs old. Maggie is very playful but sometimes I cannot get her to play with me. Instead she stares at Peaches. So I leave her alone. Then she chases peaches which she does not like- she plays when she wants to play. Peaches is small,7 pds. Maggie mini leopard,9 pds. That might be part of the problem. She will play with Coco who is a little bigger than Peaches.

When they are eating, Maggie will step away when Peaches starts eating her food. If Maggie were to eat Peaches food, Peaches would growl. I have taken food from her before and she growls at me

GreenIvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG, that’s word for word Billie (female) and Kan (male)! He just watches her and messes with her instead of playing with me!

I’ll give this playing thing a shot, if anyone has any tips on how to get a lazy cat moving and playing more, I’m all ears! 😂😂

Thank you all for following up with me. 🥰

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, that’s word for word Billie (female) and Kan (male)! He just watches her and messes with her instead of playing with me!

I’ll give this playing thing a shot, if anyone has any tips on how to get a lazy cat moving and playing more, I’m all ears! 😂😂

Thank you all for following up with me. 🥰
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G90773S/?tag=thecatsite

I use this to pester Maggie to get her to play or distract her when she is staring at Peaches. It is her favorite

GreenIvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It says there’s something wrong with the link 🤷🏽‍♀️