Litter box disputes

GreenIvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Reaction score
My male cat has recently begun messing with his sister while she’s using the litter box. She gets annoyed and growls at him a bit. I have no idea what the problem is. The litter box is cleaned twice daily and I know he doesn’t need to use it, he just kinda sticks his paw and annoys her.
I’m concerned this might turn into a problem as she has already peed in a plant pot once because he was using the litter box. This happened recently so I’m still a bit surprised with her 🤷🏽‍♀️
Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
HI. Not sure why this would have just recently cropped up - how old are these cats, and how long have they been together? Does he deliberately seek her out when she is in the box? The first thing to do to try to alleviate the issue is to get another litterbox and see if that helps the situation. The rule of thumb is one box per cat, plus one. So, in your case, that would be 3 - but, you can try to see if you can stop the issue by at least having two. You can try at first to set them near each other, if that doesn't stop the problem - but they are using both of them, you can gradually move one a bit of a way from the other so that they are eventually in different rooms/parts of the house. If the current one you have is covered, you might want to add a second, initially without the cover - or, vice-versa.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GreenIvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Reaction score
Hi, they are 3 1/2 yo, I adopted them when they were 4 mo. They are both sterilized and healthy.
Yes, he seeks her out, waits in front of the box (it has a cover). He sticks his paw in and kinda taunts her.
I’ll see if another litter box will help. Should I let them both use each box?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
Should I let them both use each box?
At first, I wouldn't restrict use of the boxes for either. But, certainly get one without a cover and see if that makes a difference. It would seem to me that he is making a game out of it - maybe because it is covered? I am not sure how you would go about keeping a separate box for each - but, if nothing else works, yes, you could try that.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Reaction score
I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner that it sounds like a game. You could also add some play sessions for him. Mine usually use the box after a meal so distract him after eating. If you have some music on at the same time it will be harder for him to hear her in the box.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Reaction score
Great ideas! My cats favorite game is hide and seek so having a cover makes the litter box entertaining. My boxes are not covered but my cat Maggie sometimes would try to play when Peaches was in it. Hope removing the top helps. Eventually Maggie grew out of it. She was 3 yrs old now 6. When I come home from work they get up from their nap,use the litterbox,play, then eat

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Reaction score
I'd also keep that 2nd box in a different area so that they don't have to necessarily pass each other while using it. Cats do not like being ambushed while going to the bathroom so separating the boxes should also help. And I agree about not using the lid too. Being able to see the other cat approaching would help.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Reaction score
put it where their "territory" is. Maggie's is the living room,Peaches,bathroom and bedroom