Litter Box Dilemma

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hi all.

I have never faced any litter box issues with any of my cats so this is new to me.
My boy Louie seems to be pooping outside of his box...
I first noticed it Sunday. The box was dirty so I changed the litter & cleaned up and for a few days (2) he was fine and using the box.

I thought he had done that because his box wasnt clean.
Today I come home, and he has pooped outside of it again. Same spot as before but this time his box is clean!
I have had him for a year now and no box issues up until now.

He has 2 boxes one upstairs which is smaller and one downstairs a large one.
Both are in private areas.

I just put Dr elseys litter attractant in both to see if it helps???

What could be going on.
He has been peeing in both okay but just pooping right outside of one of em!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It might just be that he did poop the first time outside the box because it was dirty - and is now continuing to do so because he can still smell his scent in that spot. You need to make sure you are completely removing any remaining odor from that location with an enzymatic cleaner. (If it is carpet, you can try "The Equalizer" which doesn't require saturation, hence less drying time. Most other surfaces - including wood - can be cleaned with either Fizzion or SCOE10x.) Once it is thoroughly clean, if he doesn't do it again, there is likely no health issue.

But, check to make sure his stool is of normal consistency - no constipation or diarrhea involved. That would more likely be the result of some sort of health issue that would need to be looked into. Also, most vets will accept a fecal sample to test for bacteria (and, parasites, if need be) without having to actually see the cat in their office.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Did he poop beside the small or the large box? Are they open or covered? You could try adding yet another litter box next to the one he pooped near. Some cats decide all of a sudden that they don't like a(n) (un)covered box, or that they won't poop and pee in the same box or one that's already been used.