Litter box change for new cats?

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've lost two cats this year, one on Saturday. 'rissa - the older one - died in June from what we think was nasal lymphoma. Silk had both small and large cell lymphoma and was on chemo for a year.

I'm thinking about getting cats sometime in the future and am trying to budget for insurance and wellness plans and all the other stuff I need. I'm wondering what the recommendation is for switching litter boxes of sick cats; that is, getting new ones for the new cats? I am cleaning and disinfecting everything else with a veterinary disinfectant, but I suspect I need new boxes.

Anybody have any thoughts?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Ravensong.

I simply have to jump in quickly here. There's absolutely no need nor reason to throw away old litterboxes that are still functional.

None. Whatsoever. (with the disclaimer, I suppose, "according to all that I've learned in 45 years of having cats")

You clean them, put them away in storage and return them to use when you're prepping to adopt again.

@careearbaby1 - do you know where this idea even came from? I'm most interested in exactly who it is that's recommending "new boxes every year anyway".........perhaps manufacturers who will benefit from all that?

So, save your money..........more importantly, save this little blue planet !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's absolutely no need nor reason to throw away old litterboxes that are still functional.
I wasn't thinking that generally they needed to be switched. But I wondered if, with the lymphoma and chemo, there was even a way to disinfect them well enough for reuse.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no need......in fact, soap and water would have been just fine!

How are you doing?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We need time. I keep myself going with the thought that they'd be beside themselves if I became 'stuck'...because of them.

Take some time - you'll know when. :redheartpump: