Litter All Over Floors

Wernerc07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two cats, very good about using the litter boxes. We have two covered litter boxes with a swing door in a corner of our basement. There is both rubber mats under the boxes and a large kitty litter “catch” carpet around their boxes. The problem is they jump out of the litter boxes and track the kitty litter all over our basement.
I scoop their litter daily, sweep up around the area often and it’s always everywhere. Ends up in our couches, all over the floors and it’s just annoying.
We like the kitty litter they currently use but we just want to contain it better. Has anyone ever bought or built a containment or a custom built cat condo that houses the litter boxes to at least contain the spill over to a more confined space? I was thinking of a wooden “playpen” style box with no top, maybe some ramps going in and out. This way, I can vacuum out any spillover that’s in the confined area and it shouldn’t carry over everywhere else.
Just looking for thoughts/suggestions or if anyone else has had this problem and fixed it.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
If anyone has ever solved the problem of litter going everywhere, I’d like to hear it, too. :lol: I have two litter boxes and have puppy pads in front of and under them so most of the litter goes onto the puppy pads. But I’m still vacuuming up litter that inevitably gets in their paws and ends up in the hallway. :cringe:

Good luck. Let us know if you build the enclosure and how it works out!

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All I've been able to do is use one of those low-tech, light-weight,Fuller Brush carpet sweepers - the small, nine-inch one - light and easy to use, once in the morning and once in the evening, and much of the problem is gone.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone ever bought or built a containment or a custom built cat condo that houses the litter boxes to at least contain the spill over to a more confined space? I was thinking of a wooden “playpen” style box with no top, maybe some ramps going in and out.

Lots of things come up if you do a Google search :) Many are regular pieces of furniture that are modified to house a litter box.