Liquid diet

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, rather complicated story, my kitty is hanging by thin thread. She had 2 surgeries in one month and now she’s bleeding somewhere as her stool is very dark

She was told be tele vet, she may need liquid diet. Any recommendation on this?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she has internal bleeding, it doesn't matter what her diet is - liquid or otherwise. What was this tele vet's logic?

Most vets have in stock in their offices a food called A/D recovery - highly nutritious, and easily watered down to make a slurry that can be fed by oral syringe if need be. There is no true 'liquid' diet that won't to some degree be processed through the intestines, other than an IV, and even then some goes through the stomach/intestines/colon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
liquid diet is to help with gastric inflammation secondary to “bleeding”

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Liquid diet is help with digestion and decrease gastric irritation. This is all supportive treatment to make her feel better for now until dr can do further testing. It’s Saturday, so can’t do much other than supportive

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Liquid diet is help with digestion and decrease gastric irritation. This is all supportive treatment to make her feel better for now until dr can do further testing. It’s Saturday, so can’t do much other than supportive
OK. So, did the tele vet give you some examples of what they mean by a liquid diet? With nothing else to go on, what I previously suggested is considered a liquid diet. Or, CliniCare Canine/Feline liquid diet, Rebound Feline liquid diet, PetAg liquid diet. Homemade wise, chicken or beef broth, and milk that is specially made for cats, such as Cat-Sip (you can find this at a pet food store; cow's milk is difficult for cats to properly digest). Pretty much any food that can be blended and mixed with water/broth and made into a soup consistency is what is normally considered a liquid diet. Generally speaking, they tend to be things that have to be given via an oral syringe. On that note, here is an article on how to administer food via an oral syringe.
How To Syringe Feed a Cat | Dr. Sandra Truli Springer, Holistic Vet House Call Services (allpetcareanimalhospital.com)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I forgot to add KMR (kitten milk replacer). It might be another option - usually given to kittens who are having issues, but no harm to be given to cats who are in need. Check with your local pet stores.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add KMR (kitten milk replacer). It might be another option - usually given to kittens who are having issues, but no harm to be given to cats who are in need. Check with your local pet stores.
I think PetAg is the KMR manufacturer. You did not really forget it.

KMR is for feeding orphans and runts until they are ready for solid meals.