Liquid Cyproheptadine vs Tablets

NatalieM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m wondering if anyone had had better success with cyproheptadine in tablet form over a compounded liquid suspension?
My cat was on 1mL and now 1.5mL of cyproheptadine in liquid suspension (some kind of fish oil) but still no real improvement in appetite. Her doctor said we could bump up to 2mL if needed. He also authorized tablet form since they are less expensive so we’re going to start that tomorrow.
Just wondering if the liquid is less effective?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't make a difference, IMO.

If you try the tablets, use Pill Pockets or one of these TCS suggestions to get the tablet into the cat with little stress:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – Cat Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

You can also look into getting the cypro compounded into another form such as chewable treats. Wedgewood Pharmacy has these options but any local compounding pharmacy can be used: Cyproheptadine Medication & Information for Animals

Have you tried mirtazapine? That is also commonly used as an appetite stimulant in cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NatalieM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for those tips!
We tried the mirtazapine but with no improvement to appetite :( Hoping we can get the cyproheptadine to work; maybe need to bump up the dose to 2mg. And I’ll keep on offering her all kinds of enticing food options :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have not had to give any meds for appetite to Feeby, but when her eating has been off in the past I have used baby food meats (no onions, etc.) and/or canned tuna or chicken in water. Luckily for me, after a few meals of one of these added to her food it seems to jump start her back to eating. A more drastic option (but, one that members here have recently begun suggesting) is Kentucky Fried Chicken - or a similar version if you don't have KFC.