Lip Ulcers?!

mycatisnamedruby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I need some help with my cat, Ruby. When she was about five months old she developed her first mouth ulcer but I didn't take her to the vet for it that time and it went away within a week. On 3/27 she developed another mouth ulcer but then on 3/30 she had a really scary throwing up episode which started at midnight, and consisted of her throwing up every two hours until we took her to the vet when it opened at 8. I don't know if there's any correlation but that since then she has constantly had lip ulcers. Her lip is constantly enlarged and never fully goes down because a new lip ulcer immediately forms. She tested negative for FIV/FELV but this was before I adopted her at 4 months old. The vet is against testing again because he doesn't think she has that. I took her last week and he said that if another one appears that he'll give us immune support treats. I don't know. Again, I don't know if there is any correlation but she has soft stool basically every other day.

Info: uses ceramic bowls and eats z/d wet and dry food

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Since this is still going on, I’d go to a different vet at a different practice for a second opinion. Has a fine needle aspiration of the lump been mentioned? As it keeps recurring, it could either be eosinophilic granuloma or something viral, like herpes or calicivirus. Does she have any lesions in her mouth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatisnamedruby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She doesn't have any inside her mouth just on her bottom lip. I called to give this vet one more shot since he knows my cats history. The only thing he mentioned was giving her some immune support treats. I'll definitely ask about testing for something viral. Thank you so much!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you read up on rodent ulcers? If not, here is an article (see link below) that would at least help prepare you for what to discuss with the vet. The chances of FeLV are reduced with vaccinations, but no vaccine is 100% effective. If she has been exposed to other cats and/or goes outdoors, she may have still caught it.
Rodent Ulcer in Cats | Cat-World