Lion cut causing my cat to go crazy

memphis3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has long fur so I decided to take him to the vet to get a lion cut this past Friday.  When I got him home he went into hiding but then started running around the house.  By Saturday he seemed much better, but Saturday night he started licking himself over and over, vigorously  for hours.  I tried playing with him, showed him a cat video, and gave him cat nip.  All these things worked temporarily but he then starts vigorously licking all over again.  Is this normal for a cat to do this for awhile after getting shaved?  He is three years old and I was told by the previous owner he gets this every spring.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Memphis 3 and welcome to TCS

I don't understand why the previous owner did this every Spring.  Did they say why?  It doesn't really sound like he's used to it. Or he may not like the shampoo they used.  But I'm not a lot of help as I've never shaved a cat.

Why not just groom him regularly?  It's a wonderful way to bond with your cat and he gets to keep his beautiful fur.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I question the reason for the cut unless it is because of living in a hot area and felt necessary for comfort, and wouldnormally promote regular grooming otherwise.  If your cat is used to this cut I do not understand the reason for this behaviour, and wonder if there is some skin reaction to something that has been used and this is an alergic reaction.  Can you discuss with the vet about the behaviour and concerns you have?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever shaved in an area that is not shaved often? It starts ti ITCH. Maybe that is what is bothering him, it should get better when it starts to grow out a little. Ask someone in cat health if there is a lotion or oil you could massage in, that would help too. Good luck!