Lincoln's Ckd

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HelenRB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a little update:

Lincoln and I went back to the vet yesterday. He has been eating very little again (although, thankfully, he had actually gained back a little bit of weight).

I've been thinking something other than just the extremely mild kidney issues must be going on. I brought in a urine sample, and he had his teeth very closely examined. The urine looked quite good, and the vet thought his teeth really didn't look bad either, and gums looked good (although Lincoln howled like he was being tortured while the vet looked in his mouth).

He got a shot of Cirenia, a shot of Depo-medrol (he's been scratching like crazy and wearing some fur off his neck), and a shot of Duplocillin, which is being repeated on Saturday, because his bloodwork did show some mild signs of infection. I also got Cirenia pills to give at home, if I can manage it.

The vet agreed that something strange is going on, because his lab results do not match the way he seems to feel.

I had lunch with a friend today who is a vet tech, and she wondered if he might be depressed and lonely. He did move from a house-full of kitty siblings, with lots of space for exploring, to my little apartment with no other cats and me working all day. It's also true that his appetite issues have gotten worse since I first took him in for bloodwork, after which he started getting regularly poked and prodded and having different food thrust at him all the time.

She thinks, after my vacation, I should let him stay with my parents for a week as an experiment, since he always seems to have such a good time there in a busier, larger household with kitty cousins.

Today, anyway, he is affectionate, cheerful, and eating like a horse, so something is helping for now.