Limiting meal time for weight loss

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats and one is fat. The vet said his blood work looks good, but prescribed him low calorie food. He’s lost some weight. It’s a little harder managing his weight since getting another cat because I give them their own bowls, but they eat out of each other’s. I read about limiting meals by only letting them eat for 10-15 minutes. Currently I don’t do what you call free feeding by pouring 100 days of food in their bowls and then just let them eat however they want. I measure out their food then let them eat as they please. The amount I measure seems a good, but I think it’s a bit too much. I was thinking of pouring what I normally do then after 10-15 mins take it away. Thought? Suggestions? Thank you.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep but monitor them or feed them in separate rooms.If you have an overweight cat you can not free feed at all (free feeding means not regulated meals but leaving food out). You will have to feed 3 meals a day (morning, after work/supper, and before bed). Otherwise you are always fighting a losing battle as he will eat the other cat's food. Wet food is best to help with weight loss.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can more easily help the fat cat lose weight by feeding canned food instead of dry food, not even low calorie prescription food with junky ingredients. It's ok to disagree with the vet on food :) You're not a bad pet parent if you feed something else besides what the vet recommends. And remember, it's jut a vet recommendation. The vet can't force you to feed Brand ABC. Canned foods are much lower in calories and more filling than dry food. It's easy to monitor calorie intake with canned foods, too.

Give this a read: Feline Obesity: An Epidemic of Fat Cats

Feeding the appropriate amount of calories daily and excercise is what works. Limited food or eating time does not and may result in a very hangry cat.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally agree with LTS3 LTS3 that canned food is best. Vets usually suggest science diet or royal canine which are not good brands It is high in carbs and the gredients are not good. What do you feed them? How many calories a day does your cats get? How often are they fed? One of my cats takes her time eating then comes back a few minutes later for more. This site helps me out a lot
Catfooddb.com
also the thread cat food deals forumn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night and all today I did an experiment. I gave them 3 meals. I poured 1 cup of their food in a bowl and they took turns eating it. I waited 10 minutes after they walked away This is what I found...

This morning (8:20am)
They ate almost 1 cup (not each, total), the smaller one was very hungry

This afternoon (1:45pm)
They ate the entire 1 cup

Tonight (6:55pm)
They ate 3/4 cup

I think I will record their food like this for 2 more days to find a trend then portion their meals accordingly so I can avoid being woken up early.

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is that a good strategy?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Also start weighing them every week or so and keep track of that so you know what is going on with each one.

I would suggest, similar to suggestions above, replacing at least one of those meals with canned food. Many members have had their cat lose weight slowly when eating canned food, --slowly being the only safe way.

Also pay close attention to how to your other cat is doing weight-wise.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night and all today I did an experiment. I gave them 3 meals. I poured 1 cup of their food in a bowl and they took turns eating it. I waited 10 minutes after they walked away This is what I found...

This morning (8:20am)
They ate almost 1 cup (not each, total), the smaller one was very hungry

This afternoon (1:45pm)
They ate the entire 1 cup

Tonight (6:55pm)
They ate 3/4 cup

I think I will record their food like this for 2 more days to find a trend then portion their meals accordingly so I can avoid being woken up early.
Good idea. I also feed my cats 3 meals day. I have started giving one of my cats food with a timed feeder. They are hungry in the morning from not eating 9 hrs. I found a food my other cat doesnt like other wise get up 5 hrs later and watch them eat. If you do that be sure she gets the same amount of food a day since they will be fed 4 meals. My cats eat canned only.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One cup of dry food for two cats is too much. A quarter cup for each cat is plenty. I feed mine two wet meals a day and one dry food a day. Lily was overweight when I got her, and I got her down 2 lbs by feeding her two portions of Sheba and a scant quarter cup of food each day. I also separate the two for meals. Lily will rush through hers and then gobble down Mingo's if I don't. She was abandoned with five kittens and nearly died of starvation, so she will eat everything in sight.

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One cat is overweight, but the vet said he’s naturally a biggish cat. The vet said he should weigh 12lbs and the girl should weigh around 8.5.

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just weighed them. She needs to lose a couple pounds, but he’s 12.8lbs. He could lose 0.8, but not too bad.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You'll be able to get them on canned food?

6 pounds for a cat seems rather small. Could we have pictures, especially from above as they're standing?

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No one said 6lbs. Yesterday I weighed her and she’s 10lbs. According to the vet that means she should lose 1.5lbs.

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to share a quick update to see if anyone has any suggestions. I finished the 3 day count and first found out that 3/4 cup was good for them, then give them Greenies. Later though I found out that when I put the Greenies with their food instead of after they leave roughly 1/4 of their food. Tomorrow I’m going to give them 1/2 cup instead of 3/4 cup of food 3x/day and give them Greenies with each meal. I follow the feeding amounts Greenies recommends.

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a concern related to their food. I spent 3 days measuring and timing everything and it turned out that combined they eat 1.5 cups or slightly less/day. I have started taking away whatever food is left after 10-15mins, which is almost nothing anyways. The bigger and dominate boy usually eats first then the smaller girl. Since I found that combined they eat 1.5 cups then I give them 1/2 3x/day. I’ve noticed though that not always, but sometimes the boy bites and hopefully not eating the plastic trash bags. That’s not good! Sometimes he licks the empty bowl. If he was hungrier he would eat more during his meals, right? Should I keep with the same amount of food but break it into 4 meals? If he is in fact eating the plastic and not just playing with it then I’m concerned for him. Thanks for the help.

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just talked to my wife. She thinks he’s mostly just biting and playing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
sometimes the boy bites and hopefully not eating the plastic trash bags. That’s not good! Sometimes he licks the empty bowl. If he was hungrier he would eat more during his meals, right? Should I keep with the same amount of food but break it into 4 meals? If he is in fact eating the plastic and not just playing with it then I’m concerned for him. Thanks for the help.

Sounds like hangry behavior. Your cat is not getting enough calories to satisfy his needs. Give more food to the cat and / or leave the uneaten food in the bowl out until the next meal. How many calories are you currently feeding? Does each cat have their own bowls or do they share?

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he’s hungry why would he walk away? They share a bowl because I got one timer bowl and I didn’t know how that would work out so I only bought one. In the past he would eat from her bowl after finishing his though. Maybe buy a 2nd bowl and give him about 1/4 more?