Lima Bean Respect Day!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate them. My mom always gave us mixed frozen vegetables (that were then reheated) and lima beans were in that mix. I dreaded those things. I ate the peas, carrots, and corn with no problem, but those lima beans....

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like them and will fix them from time to time.Hubby adores them and would eat them more than we do.I prefer the frozen baby limas,so that's what I buy...when done, a little butter,salt and pepper.Pretty good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I hate them. My mom always gave us mixed frozen vegetables (that were then reheated) and lima beans were in that mix. I dreaded those things. I ate the peas, carrots, and corn with no problem, but those lima beans....
Yep! That's what I remember. Yuck. :cringe:

Having said that, the dish I tried tonight...wasn't horrible. :lol: But I think if the limas hadn't been mixed with tomatoes, feta, parsley, etc., I wouldn't have liked them. It's a texture thing--they're so chalky. :barfgreen:

So I can't say I'd never eat them again, but I sure won't go out of my way to eat them.

Greek style limas on the left, with salad and olive bread.

IMG_1142.jpeg

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I'm vegetarian lima beans are not one of my favorites. I will eat them but they're not on the top of my list.
I'm vegetarian and I like lima beans. I have not had them for years but I was at Cracker Barrel the other night and brought a vegetable plate with lima beans and it came with little pieces of ham in it so I could not eat them. The next time I go to the store I plan on buying a frozen package because now I want some.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep! That's what I remember. Yuck. :cringe:

Having said that, the dish I tried tonight...wasn't horrible. :lol: But I think if the limas hadn't been mixed with tomatoes, feta, parsley, etc., I wouldn't have liked them. It's a texture thing--they're so chalky. :barfgreen:

So I can't say I'd never eat them again, but I sure won't go out of my way to eat them.

Greek style limas on the left, with salad and olive bread.

View attachment 281654
Your meal looks so good. I love olive bread.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Butter Beans. I'm not sure what the difference is. I'll have to try them side by side and compare.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try Butter Beans. I'm not sure what the difference is.

Butter beans are a creamy beige-ish color, not green like lima beans. Other than that, there may be slight nutritional differences and taste differences.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't want a whole serving of them, but I do like to throw a handful in a batch of vegetable soup.

I haven't watched The Simpson in years, but a Google search suggests the poor lima bean gets mentioned a lot.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like them. Of course it does matter how they're prepared. I've never had them taste chalky! Something must have gone wrong in the preparation.

Lima beans and butter beans are the same thing! Lima beans are green immature beans and butter beans are mature beige beans (or sometimes the terms are just used interchangeably).