Lily is over grooming

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my Lily has been over grooming her belly, and she has a few little sores all clustered in one area. In total the over grooming spot is perhaps a 2 inch diameter with the sores (about 5) being about the size of a pencil eraser.
This is not the first time she has had an over grooming issue, as she did have a few months of over grooming when we first adopted her last year. Our vet prescribed the Royal Canin "Calm" formula and within a couple of weeks, she started to heal.
I have ordered a bag of this food and have started mixing it with her other food to transition, so I'm hoping it works again this time. It's only been about a week of half calm and half of her other food, so the full effect hasn't had a chance to really work yet.
Her over grooming started this time right around the time things opened back up and we started going to work again, so I imagine separation anxiety is the culprit. She is a very sensitive kitty, and VERY attached to hubby and me, even more so when we were home all day, everyday for almost three months with the lock down.
I've been trying to soothe the area with chamomile tea compresses and have given some by mouth as well, but I don't think it's enough.

I have read some positive things about Zylkene...so I was wondering if anyone has ever used it for over grooming due to stress, and was it effective?

Also, other than chamomile tea, is there anything else I can apply to the sores to help them heal and perhaps stop her from licking that area? I don't want to use anything that may stress her out even more, but more to speed the healing of the sores, especially when they get dried and crusty, which I'm sure itches...which would encourage her to lick it even more.

Just an added bit of FYI, the "sores" are not deep open sores that ooze, nor is there any signs of infection. They are just very angry looking, superficial abrasions.
Again, this isn't the first time she's had this, but I'm just hoping for something that can sooth her little boo-boos.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
e started going to work again, so I imagine separation anxiety is the culprit.
Oh, sweet baby :heartshape:

I'm a chamomile tea fan :) but for her emotionally, try a heartbeat toy, a purr toy, (even a muffled (with a towel wrapped around it) ticking clock) and cat music, there's Spotify, Youtube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a chamomile tea fan :)
So am I, but it's just not cutting it... :(
and cat music, there's Spotify, Youtube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources.
I forgot about the music!:doh: I have a relaxation CD for cats I used to play for my other kitty...I'll dig it out to play when we're out.
Every little bit helps....

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had a cat with overgooming, I've used zylkene when doing introductions (which is stress producing.) I had followed the recommended dose of 75mg per 10 pounds of cat, didn't want to give too much. I didn't see desired effect with that dose.
But, now am using over 75 mg per 10 pounds- more like about 112mg total for my most recent kitty, Ziggy. The higher dose has helped her be calmer with the intro still going on.
I give it daily with a bit of Fancy Feast classic pate kitty crack (seafood flavors) and she takes it readily- it doesn't have any taste or smell. I get the 450mg/capsule for dogs (cheaper per dose) and parse out about 112mg- divide each capsule into 4 doses. No side effects at all for Ziggy. I know Buffster7 Buffster7 's Charlie has had some side effect.
I hope it can work in addition to what you are doing for Lily!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zylkene has helped my young guy with his stalking and attacks/retaliation on my older guy. It does help mellow him out. Unfortunately, my older guy is the over groomer, and he doesn't tolerate Zylkene as well (he is just super-sensitive to all meds/supplements).
I wish I knew what was in Royal Canin Calm formula - just the calm part and not the food. I would love to be able to purchase just the calming supplement. I'm so sorry your baby is dealing with the over-grooming, it really is heartbreaking to see. My guy only started this behavior this year. I'm still not absolutely certain of the cause, whether endocrine or anxiety or allergies. If you find anything that helps with yours, please let me know. Zylkene is worth a try.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found that the heartbeat toy helped and I have always used a ticking clock for kittens. buffster buffster if you could show that purr mat, I think that’s another possible option. I really like that purr mat! Besides purring they can knead the mat as they would a mom cat for comfort.
5B23A479-9F99-4724-A05E-17016A4BA1D1.jpeg
A7E2F952-1445-4064-AE7C-DDF0C59699C7.jpeg

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, just a quick question about chamomile tea compresses.
What I've been doing, is I make a cup of tea, and let it steep as it cools. That way the tea is as concentrated as possible.
I will use that tea bag as a compress at first, and just keep the tea in the fridge. Using cotton pads/balls for future applications.
So my question is, how long should I try to keep the compress on her belly?
Right now she is sleeping on my lap, on her side with her belly exposed. She fell asleep while I was applying it for a few minutes and petting her, so now I have the cotton pad just sitting there...is it possible that it sits too long?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She fell asleep while I was applying it for a few minutes and petting her, so now I have the cotton pad just sitting there...is it possible that it sits too long?
let me ask our expert, although I don't think so since the tea is antibacterial... Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 when you have a chance could you weigh in :)?

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd throw it away if it sat longer than 18 hours. But up until then, SWAB AWAY! Or...just tuck the pad in the fridge till she wakes cup. The "coolth" adds to the soothing quality of the tea. "Coolth" being the opposite of "warmth," of course.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd throw it away if it sat longer than 18 hours. But up until then, SWAB AWAY! Or...just tuck the pad in the fridge till she wakes cup. The "coolth" adds to the soothing quality of the tea. "Coolth" being the opposite of "warmth," of course.
But how long to keep a compress on in one sitting? 5 minutes? 15 minutes? Until it becomes warm from being on her skin?
I always use a fresh cotton pad with every application. Dip it in the tea that is in the fridge (only kept for a couple days) and place it on her belly...just not sure how long to leave it there.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Until it becomes warm from being on her skin?
Mamanyt is recovering from the flu (not corona thank goodness) and will be back very soon, but in the meantime, due to her statement that the coolness adds to the soothing quality and aspect of the tea, I'm thinking this, until it warms from being on her skin.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem