Lilly loves car rides!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillys mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She cowered under the seat the first couple of times now she's either in the back or sitting on top of the drivers seat. It's so funny!

catman8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are lucky..... last time mine got out of the cat carrier in the car he claim up on the dash board snd I had to pull over to put him back in.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always introduced my kitties as kittens to car and carrier travel. My beloved Pandi who past 10 years ago, she was happy to go any where with me as long as I was there! We drove between NYC and NJ every weekend, she would sit on the passenger seat or between the drivers and passengers seat with a big smile. 

Of course you do have to be careful when you let them roam in the car when driving. There is always the obvious that they could interfere with your driving, but more importantly they are completely helpless if an accident should happen.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Just noticed this thread!  Very cute.  Your girl looks very chilled and regal sitting there in the seat. 

Have you ever seen the cat car harnesses you can buy?  I have one for Mouse as wanted to try as an alternative to his carrier (which he hated) but actually found he prefers to feel secured in by a tight box so not used.  It's a padded walking harness that also has a proper car seat belt attachment so your kitty is protected (along with you and other passengers) if you have to break suddenly!

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_carriers_travel/harnesses/78255

I'm sure there will be other suppliers if you were interested as don't know if the one I use covers the US. 

lillys mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you MServant! She's my regal girl :) I will look into the harness. It's funny, she hates her carrier in the car and meows until I let her out. As soon as we get to the vet she's all about the carrier lol. Did you train mouse to walk on the harness? Wondering if I should start training her to do that.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you MServant! She's my regal girl
I will look into the harness. It's funny, she hates her carrier in the car and meows until I let her out. As soon as we get to the vet she's all about the carrier lol. Did you train mouse to walk on the harness? Wondering if I should start training her to do that.
Train Mouse?   
   He's trained me! The only 'training' success I've had is getting him to know when his bites hurt.  

He will walk on the harness but I can't get him past the bit of landing outside my apartment door: he freaks at the slightest unfamiliar noise once he's out of his own territory and scuttles back to safety.  I would love to be able to take him out but I don't think it's going to succeed.   You should give it a go - try and get kitty to help you with strategically held/placed food or toy rewards. Once you get it on, if your cat doesn't instantly play dead you're doing really well!  Mouse kind of huffs a bit about it to start with then gets on with stuff as long as it's not too tight. I let Mouse wander about the apartment for a few times with no lead attached when introducing it: that way it was a bit like having a collar on - annoying but still in control, doing what ever he wanted. Then I attached the lead but followed him around where ever he wanted to go - gets funny when it's under beds and tied round chair legs but it's worth it in building up the trust.  If you do start taking her out on a lead just remember once you start she will be looking for you to do it regularly and on her command....

I was amazed at how cheep this harness was and it is well made. It even has little locks on the clips so they can't come undone accidentally when you're travelling.  It doesn't come with a walking lead so you have to get that separately if you plan to walk to the car or wander about for little 'comfort' breaks on longer journeys.  I already had a kitten lead which we used so I use the one off that.

lillys mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She used to be so scared but guess they grew on her :)