Life's Betta With A Fish

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Too much light?
I tried to lessen the amount of light I use but the hornwort doesn't grow without the current 8 hour cycle I have.

I'm getting so frustrated with growing live plants. At this point, I just want to buy a bunch of silks and pop them into the water.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely. I struggle with non-aquatic plants as well. No matter how much research I do, I can never keep anything for more a few weeks. I'm surprised the carpet plants have lasted this long.
15851756689416886655151683844793.jpg

I'm going to remove everyone tomorrow and do a thorough deep clean of the entire aquarium. The algae is probably a sign that it's time.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
After the amount of time I've spent cleaning this aquarium (still not dont btw), I'm happily going to switch to fake plants. There is so much gunk and debris from the plants I cannot manage to keep alive to save my life so I've had enough for now. When I'm older and more financially stable, I'll give live plants another try.

I'm on Amazon as we speak.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How are things going today?

So, segelkatt segelkatt and I both tried to send you a private message/conversation and couldn't --although it isn't clear why it failed. I thought maybe it's because that part of the system doesn't like your hyphenated name, or maybe you have an option checked or unchecked in your preferences regarding pms/conversations.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
How are things going today?

So, segelkatt segelkatt and I both tried to send you a private message/conversation and couldn't --although it isn't clear why it failed. I thought maybe it's because that part of the system doesn't like your hyphenated name, or maybe you have an option checked or unchecked in your preferences regarding pms/conversations.
I checked my preferences and I couldn't find anything that would block people from sending me messages. 😕

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Cayden has Dropsy :(
I did a deep clean of the aquarium yesterday (removed all fish and dividers, cleaned out all the carpeting plants, washed the sand). When he was in his temporary plastic tub, I noticed that his belly was swollen. Soon after, his colours started fading and he only came up for air. I thought he was just stressed from being in the tub. I moved them back and he was still the same. Today, his scales are slightly raised. He hasn't eaten anything at all and just lays in the bottom of the tank. He only comes up for air.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I was so scared he wouldn't be alive this morning but to my surprise, he was the first fish up at the top waiting for breakfast. When I dropped a few pieces of food in, he hesitantly ate but he did indeed eat the food so I hope that is a good sign. He isn't at the bottom anymore. He's hanging out at the top but he isn't swimming around and his fins are clamped. But if I go close to him, he'll start "dancing". So, I'm not sure what's going on with him. His abdomen is still swollen and his scales are still slightly raised compared to the other fish. He also has a poop so I hope that is a good sign too. He also didn't mind flaring at Silas next door for a few seconds so... I guess time will tell? I know I have a lot of these little guys but I share a personal and unique connection with each of them. I want him to be okay so badly.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was so scared he wouldn't be alive this morning but to my surprise, he was the first fish up at the top waiting for breakfast. When I dropped a few pieces of food in, he hesitantly ate but he did indeed eat the food so I hope that is a good sign. He isn't at the bottom anymore. He's hanging out at the top but he isn't swimming around and his fins are clamped. But if I go close to him, he'll start "dancing". So, I'm not sure what's going on with him. His abdomen is still swollen and his scales are still slightly raised compared to the other fish. He also has a poop so I hope that is a good sign too. He also didn't mind flaring at Silas next door for a few seconds so... I guess time will tell? I know I have a lot of these little guys but I share a personal and unique connection with each of them. I want him to be okay so badly.
Have you tried giving him peas? They are supposed to help with dropsy--preventing and curing. I feed peas to all my fish about once a week. Sometimes more with my goldfish. How is Cayden today?

Right before the quarantine started, my goldfish, Calypso, died. I had just gotten her a bigger tank and was going to set it up the next morning. I have no idea what happened, but it left me pretty distressed. My son and his fiancee got me two new goldfish for my birthday. I have an orange and black fantail named Saoirse and a black moor named Xiomara.

He does industrial insulation all over Ohio and happened upon a shop that was still open for that final day before the shutdown. Which is where the problem I am having started. When he picked up the fish--and four cherry shrimp for himself--he got me some plants. I treated the plants before I put them into the three tank; however, the shrimp, goldfish, and betta/danio tanks all have insects. We first noticed these squiggly, long worm things. I think they are detritus worms. Maybe? They are not in the gravel, just swimming and wiggling around the water. Then I noticed tiny specks that kind of hop all over the glass. Seed shrimp? Then, yesterday, I noticed a creepy worm crawling up the glass in my betta tank and two in with the shrimp. Planaria?

I keep seeing that they are not harmful, but what if I am misdiagnosing and they kill my fish? I did a water change and vacuumed the gravel. They are still in there. I do partial water changes every week and try to remove as much uneaten food as I can. I read that I can treat with Panacur-C but that I would have to remove all my snails. Has anyone used Panacur-C? Any idea what the bugs are?We are doing another water change tomorrow, but I am afraid of stressing my fish too much.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant to research into pea feeding. I will look to see if we have any. Are you talking about the green peas or just any kind of peas? Cayden seems to be doing better but I don't know how to tell for sure since yesterday, he seemed fine but then didn't move much in the evening. But he came up for food and ate today so that's good.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with things like that in the water except for copepods. I had a ton of them in my aquarium water and filter. No idea where they came from but the fish enjoyed hunting them and eating them. There were hundreds of them. Whenever I cleaned the filter and held a light to it, the entire inside was coated off with copepods. So I guess that's where they thrived. Maybe check your filter? How much do your snails clean up?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I've read conflicting things about peas and fish and came to the conclusion that the only time they're at all useful, or even safe to use, is if the Betta is constipated. As I understand it they need to be peeled, and only a small quantity used.

IMHO a day every week or two of a fast is better.

However, none of this would help with dropsy, I don't think...

Hang in there!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I've read conflicting things about peas and fish and came to the conclusion that the only time they're at all useful, or even safe to use, is if the Betta is constipated. As I understand it they need to be peeled, and only a small quantity used.

IMHO a day every week or two of a fast is better.

However, none of this would help with dropsy, I don't think...

Hang in there!
Yes, I heard the same when researching and couldn't come to a clear conclusion. Daphnia would always be better as it's almost like a fish laxative but I cannot find any in my area and with quarantine, it is near impossible. Maybe Cayden is just constipated. I'm sure that would be better than dropsy.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
He's still the same. Not any better or any worse but his stomach has gone down in size. I think he's having some digestive issues. Really wish I could get my hands on some daphnia.

I withheld food from them all day yesterday and going to see what I can get for them today.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't get a better picture of him but he has some slight pineconing. He's still eating. But only when I isolate him and feed him a tiny amount. He's been having some trouble swimming and pooping so I've been doing Epsom salt dips and soaking food in garlic juice. Hopefully this will help but he's still hanging on.
15873156984114546697893631372580.jpg

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found an on-line company that sells a science kit for $12. It has about 30 daphnia eggs, just add water.
Daphnia Instant Culture Kit

This site Online direct supply of daphnia; Magna, other Microorganisms, White Sturgeon, and Mosquito fish is out of everything except Edited to correct - what they have in stock is Daphnia Magna Largest specie of Daphnia (approx; 1,000 count) for $12.99

I don't know anything about either company. The second company has directions for keeping / breeding daphnia. It sounds like a better deal than 30 eggs / $12

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. This described almost exactly what I've been experiencing with Cayden to a T. I figured a few days ago that it had to be a swim bladder issue.

He hasn't eaten in 3 days and his pineconing is getting worse though.