Life's Betta With A Fish

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you :)

One of the rosy barbs isn't looking great. I've had them for a long time though. It just seems to have gone a bit paler than usual so I think I'll need to keep an eye on it.. :/ Everyone else seems to be OK though.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So today I have picked up a betta from the local Pets at Home - I guess it's the UK equivalent of Petsmart?? Sort of pale metallic bluey pink crown tail. But...

I saw him on a Weds night. I don't know whether he'll do OK or not. He has very clamped tail and fins. Very, very lethargic in the store and was just lying in the corner of the tank, pretty much totally motionless other than the odd shuffle about.

He's been in his new home for about an hour, and he is actually swimming about now though he has spent some time on the bottom. .. Which hopefully is a good sign.

I plan to treat with melafix and see if that helps him. I'll try to get a pic later but better let him settle down especially since he is maybe a bit fragile.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He seems to have perked right up and is happily swimming about, with periods of resting on the substrate. Completely different from the shop.

Apologies if the video is blurry, it is fine on my phone!

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nuts, I seem to be having an outbreak of ich in the big tank. And I won't be able to start any treatment until tomorrow night as that's when I can get meds.

Entirely own fault added some peppered and panda corys and didn't quarantine.

Betta still seems to be doing OK though.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Had it once before and treated with meds, though I can't remember what I used (it was a couple of years ago).

So I've raised the temp. Going to Pets at Home now to grab some meds and will see if I can find some garlic, the only stuff I have is prechopped in a jar.

Have also been recommended to get some cattappa leaves, apparently they are really good for fish when they break down?

Does anyone have any tips for feeding Corys... As in, I got some wafer thingies which sink specially for bottom feeders. But the other fish go mad for them so not sure the Corys are getting a look in....!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy garlic cloves and put them in a small cup. Add some aquarium water and then cut up the cloves really small with my scissors.

The leaves and the garlic is all about boosting the fishes immune system.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I treated with white spot meds last night, second dose will be on Sat... Or Sunday. I think... Instructions say do second dose on the fourth day. So is it Weds day 1, Thurs 2, Fri 3, Sat 4?

Or is it dose Weds, Thurs 1, Fri 2, Sat 3 and dose again Sun (4)?

Also the betta doesn't seem to be eating. :(
I've tried a couple of different foods. Normally all the fish seem to associate lights on plus people = food so they start swarming about waiting.
Betta, not so much. Any ideas?

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Will give it a go. May also ring store to see what they feed. Maybe he doesn't recognise what is being offered as edible though have had others from there and been ok (not recently) .

Oooh also got some frozen things (bloodwormse etc) so might try with those.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I'm really sorry to say that the betta is really failing. If I'm honest I was surprised to see he had not passed overnight.

He will not eat. I have tried several varieties of micro pellets, frozen bloodworms (defrosted in tank water before adding) and frozen brine shrimp with garlic. I've even tried a micro algae wafer on the off chance.

He is just lying on the bottom of the tank, looks exhausted and is breathing heavily. His colour is all but non-existent. His gills aren't red and he has no obvious external signs of illness. Very occasionally he will come up to breathe at the surface. Other than that, very little movement. Video below - he did shoot up to breathe.

Water parameters are A0, Ni0, Na around 5. So ok to my mind.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all as to anything else I can try? I'm losing hope that he will recover. :( :(

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this. Unfortunately, I don't know what to suggest since I haven't been back in the hobby for very long and my knowledge prior wasn't very extensive so I'm still learning.

If he's really suffering and not eating, I'd put him to sleep. You can do so with clove oil. I know it's not what you want to hear but at this point, it might be better for him than being in pain due to whatever ailment he is currently suffering from. Sending positive thoughts and vibes your way. Hopefully he turns around.