Life's Betta With A Fish

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of people using parts of a plastic bottle to divert the flow to the sides. As you found out, if you try to block the flow it just goes somewhere else. But if it's diverted so it hits the side of the tank instead of going forward, that may be good enough. It looks like there are a lot of Youtube videos about diverting the flow, I didn't watch any but you might be able to find a good one.

I keep seeing things on fish boards saying that on the 330, flow can be reduced by "adjusting the intake tube", but I can't find anything explaining how to do that :dunno:. Maybe one of the videos will explain that.
Thank you for your suggestion.

This is what I've come up with as a temporary solution.
15825794755091520000357633306337.jpg

Is he getting blown about in the tank now from the current? Your temporary fix there (ingeneous!) should have helped that quite a bit.

As long as he has places to hang out where he's able to "hide " from the current, you and he should be ok. Or you could take two or three pieces of the material you used for the dividers, layer them and with cable ties attach them to the front/lip of the outflow.
Thank you!! I also tried the mesh but it wasn't enough to disperse the water flow.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just seen a similar recommendation on another forum - using a soap dish with holes in (the type with suction cups that goes on the tiles) but filled with marbles. Doesn't slow down the filter flow but disperses it.

So sitting down with a glass of wine now!

My evening has been spent transferring filter media, stones and ceramic media from the 80ltr tank to the 190ltr, as well as catching and moving the fish. You'd think it was hundreds instead of 10 lol. But here they are in their new home. Still would like the water to be less hazy but it's clearer than it was.

20200224_195224_copy_2016x1512.jpg 20200224_202249_copy_2678x1693.jpg 20200224_195616_copy_2965x2088.jpg

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's getting better slowly.... The bottom half is clear but the top part still seems to be hazy to me. I mean, it's not awful, but could be better....

I have something I can try - quick clear - to see if it makes a difference, but it could just be caused by the branches leaching in to the water. There are no particles visible in the water, whereas there were for a couple of days after the sand was added...

Fish seem happy enough and I just found my assassin snail - couldn't find it at all last night! - and have popped it in.

20200225_184715_copy_3024x2268.jpg

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So today I have moved the second lot of fish over to the big tank. Did water tests yesterday and ammonia, nitrates and nitrites all reading 0. When I moved the first fish over I moved the filter media and a big bunch of their substrate (tied up with in a stocking so it can be easily taken out). I'm also using Seachem Stability. So it's all good.

Stock levels are :
5 black Ruby barbs
5 rosy barbs
4 dwarf neon rainbows
10 (I think!) harlequin rasboros
1 assassin snail

Will let it all settle down and do another water test tomorrow to check the levels.

20200229_133208_copy_2016x1512_1.jpg

20200229_133110_copy_2016x1512.jpg

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Got my eye on one of these now for a betta... :angel3: :angel3:

Previously I have had bettas in both my 60 and 80 ltr tanks but not had great luck. Wondering if a smaller tank with lower flow would be better. Definitely can't put one in the large tank as the barbs would harass it (they can't be kept with long finned fish) and far too much flow.

http://www.betta-aquatic-products.co.uk/betta-h5-aquarium-in-white-with-black-edge.html

Couple more pics now that the water has settled down from this morning. Everyone is out and about which is good!

20200229_190629_copy_1758x1272.jpg

20200229_190756_copy_2944x1788.jpg

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, they do three sizes - 19, 32 and 47 ltrs. Actually the 19 ltr comes out at 5 gallons. Though that one is only £10 cheaper than the 32ltr.... So might as well go for the middle size. If it was reasonably priced I'd maybe go for the 19 ltr and get two LMAO!! Advantage of buying the big tank second hand is that I have some savings left over.

Uh oh. The Green Mile has just started. I'd best go get some tissues before I start bawling!!!

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you :) I'm really pleased with it. Fingers crossed for the plants though, I have an interesting track record with them.... :rolleyes: :)

Re the film, it's one of the very few where I regretted reading the book first. Bawled my eyes out through both of them :(

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I can relate. The only plant I've managed to keep alive is the hornwort (barely though). And also the carpeting plant.

It's best to stick to plants meant for low tech tanks first. The ones that don't require a lot of light or fertilizer. I dose the aquarium water with Seachem Flourish but in very very small amounts every other week.

I also have two 6500k bulbs running over the fish for 6 - 8 hours a day. Can't do more than that because high light requires more CO2 to grow.

I also give them some "light breaks" every few days to give the natural CO2 time to build up.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
lol, I chickened out and just got a couple of marimo balls. I kept them out of the tank while it was getting stabilized, and then put them in. I'd read they like cooler temps, and in my case that proved to be true - my tank is at about 78 degrees F. So I now have them in their own vase on a table, with their own schedule of things (water changes, fertilizer, low light and cooler temps) and they're happy as clams and look much better.

I have silk plants in with the fish. :thumbsup:

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The last bogwood I had with java fern on it, I just seemed to spend all my time picking dead leaves off it.

On the other hand, the anubias seems to be thriving, despite not actually being rooted to anything as far as I can tell, other than two small chunks of ceramic media :dunno:

Have to see how it goes. Not planning on anything high tech. Going to add ferts once a week and that's about it....

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily can you talk me through your divided tank set up?

Someone on the fish forum has just - very sensibly! - pointed out to me that I should just divide the 80ltr tank into 2 bits and have 2 bettas - rather than buying a new small tank!! Can you step by step me on how you've done yours? Thanks :)