Life's Betta With A Fish

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So this is where I am currently with the new set up. Still needs some work. Although I wanted a more heavily planted side, ideally to the left of, and behind, the large azalea root, the shape and size doesn't really allow it.

So. Need to wipe the inside glass as it is dusty after I spent X hours yesterday fiddling with it all. Want to add in a few more stones and do something with the anubias plant at the front - not sure if the black splotches are algae or an issue with the plant (it was there in the 80ltr).

Water still hazy though. Not sure how long it will take to clear totally.

20200223_110529_copy_1467x1180.jpg

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did almost a 75% change yesterday - that's a lot of buckets... Lol - but I did spend the time between emptying and refilling moving things about which stirred the sand up.

The large azalea root is really difficult to get in and out of the tank due to its shape and the bracing struts across the middle of the tank at the top. Needed to remove it to try and clean the slime etc off (it feels and smells disgusting at the moment). Fighting with that kicked up a lot of the substrate. I used aquarium specific sand and spent a lot of time rinsing it last week.

I found a good aquarium forum who are of the opinion that moving the fish across now will not be harmful. But I'm anxious about it so may still wait..

The water is clearing gradually. I'm just impatient!

:)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
awwww, my Little Red built a bubble nest overnight - even with the can filter on his side. The baffle "rig" that's decreasing the outflow water current must be meeting with their approval woohoo!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The large azalea root is really difficult to get in and out of the tank due to its shape and the bracing struts across the middle of the tank at the top
that thing is amazing!! by the way, I can't tell if maybe it's just different lighting in the room that made it less intense, but it looks like you did a great job covering the indicator light on your heater :thumbsup: !

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The water level is on the low side for these tall plants (not real), and the spots on the inside of the tank are from our hard water - the air stone is a bit splattery lol, but with all that said, here he is :) ...with large kudos to everyone else who can get fantastic photos of their fishy buddies :rolleyes2:

Attachments

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I see!

Glad you found a fish hobbyist forum that you like. I still haven't been able to after the whole betta fiasco.
This is the forum I found, and they have been endlessly patient with random and odd questions!! Seem to be a really nice community.

Aquarium Forums UK - Index page

So this morning I took out and cleaned the leaves on the larger anubias. Root debris etc flying about everywhere :)

It has however all settled down and although still a little cloudier than I would like, I am at a point of feeling like it would be OK to move the fish over from the 80ltr.

I may do a 25% change tomorrow night and start the move then - will need to move existing filter media etc.

Furballsmom Furballsmom - have had to move the heater to the centre back of the tank. Tried it on the side but couldn't read it lol and didn't really want the plants sitting right against it. I don't mind seeing it though it may look odd...

The azalea root is gorgeous but it's a right pain in the butt as the branches extend right over to the left hand side panel as well (cunningly hidden by the plants)!!

20200223_200533.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Your aquarium looks amazing! Can't wait to see fish in it, they will be ecstatic with all that space to explore.

Gus definitely wins the "who can build the best bubble nest" competition... 🙄
15824914556824995760352442210085.jpg
20200222_221034.jpg

I had to take everyone out and fix the dividers, I've added bars to the edges for better support and security. But now I've realized that I need more sand so I'm going out to buy some more today.
15824916916135913137715749685478.jpg

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love the way you have done the dividers in the large tank, it's brilliant. Great way to keep male bettas. Such a shame they can't be kept together, can you imagine how stunning they would look as a group if it could be done...

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the way you have done the dividers in the large tank, it's brilliant. Great way to keep male bettas. Such a shame they can't be kept together, can you imagine how stunning they would look as a group if it could be done...
Thank you!
I was afraid the plastic mesh would be too see through but the fish don't seem to care about there being someone on the other side. I think they see mostly shadows and movement. Of course there is occasional flaring but I've placed the most docile fish in between the aggressive ones.

For sure if they weren't so aggressive and territorial, I'd have a lot more.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what I did but this filter is now running 3x stronger than it was when I first set it up. Too strong actually. I tried putting a piece of left over mesh to disrupt the flow but it didn't do much. I'm going to try to find a piece of sponge to see if that'll do it.

So, what I did... I took down, cleaned out the inside components and then filled it with water. Then, I plugged it in with absolutely nothing inside. Waited for it to kick in. Then, I added the impeller back along with the seachem Matrix and the cartridge. Gus is actually enjoying the bubbles but I don't want him to have to deal with this constantly. The filter is also sucking a lot stronger now. My guess is something is wrong with the impeller. I might buy a replacement if I can find one. And since this is the Penguin 330 Bio-Wheel, it also takes a bio-wheel but I don't think I need one.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he getting blown about in the tank now from the current? Your temporary fix there (ingeneous!) should have helped that quite a bit.

As long as he has places to hang out where he's able to "hide " from the current, you and he should be ok. Or you could take two or three pieces of the material you used for the dividers, layer them and with cable ties attach them to the front/lip of the outflow.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of people using parts of a plastic bottle to divert the flow to the sides. As you found out, if you try to block the flow it just goes somewhere else. But if it's diverted so it hits the side of the tank instead of going forward, that may be good enough. It looks like there are a lot of Youtube videos about diverting the flow, I didn't watch any but you might be able to find a good one.

I keep seeing things on fish boards saying that on the 330, flow can be reduced by "adjusting the intake tube", but I can't find anything explaining how to do that :dunno:. Maybe one of the videos will explain that.