Life's Betta With A Fish

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He starts going around and around on one side of the tank, over and over, and acting as though he's trying to find a way out...and he'd do this after water changes.

When he's comfortable, he hangs out, and swims normally. It took a while to figure it out but this seems to be it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I figured his circling was either from the temperature, a falling or rising barometer, or the water. I even put him on Blue's side just to see if I'd missed something else... Then I saw a couple references online to very similar behavior after water changes, and someone posted/said why don't you eliminate the dechlorinator and just let your water sit for a few days or boil it and let it cool, so that the chlorine dissipates that way. Unfortunately I don't believe that eliminates chloramine, but Little Red has seemed much calmer after several water changes with reduced dechlorinator, so I'm feeling reasonably confident I have the issue solved for him. I hope so :)!

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy to read about everyone having such nice tanks for their Bettas. Too many people use them as ornaments in tiny and inhumane containers. But I expect no less from the quality people on this website! I looked into getting Bettas before and it seemed like a 5 gallon tank would be good. But ended up deciding against it. We do have 3 cats lol.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But ended up deciding against it. We do have 3 cats lol
We have two fish tanks with a total of eight fish and three snails. We also have nine cats! I have a little stool so the cats can see the fish but not get near them. We have (luckily!) never had a problem. Silas, our baby cat, and Tara, our wack-a-doodle cat, really enjoy watching the fish. They watch them for hours sometimes.

I have an update on my betta. We decided to name him Fernando! I know it is a bit too much like Orlando, our recently deceased betta, but I heard the ABBA song recently and it kind of stuck. He looks like a Fernando!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
How are Silas' fins?
Pretty bad.

They'll probably take a long time to heal. I feel stupid for buying the fake plants in the first place because I heard people say it can damage fins but I thought I would have had the other tank set up by now (was planning on removing them completely). I'm just so busy. PetSmart did give me a full refund for both ornaments though so I can use that money to buy live plants which are around $5 - $10 depending on the type.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress Coat. Pretty good stuff, unless fishkeepers have changed their minds since I had a bigger tank ;).

Ammonia spikes can cause fin erosion too, do you have test strips?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress Coat. Pretty good stuff, unless fishkeepers have changed their minds since I had a bigger tank ;).

Ammonia spikes can cause fin erosion too, do you have test strips?
No, I keep forgetting to buy them. I'll have to see if I can pick some up soon.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I ended up having to put one of the suction cups for the heater over the indicator light - it's so incredibly bright and intense that I wondered if it was keeping the fish awake at night lol

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up having to put one of the suction cups for the heater over the indicator light - it's so incredibly bright and intense that I wondered if it was keeping the fish awake at night lol
Probably. If I'm pulling an all-nighter, I'll cover Silas's tank with towels to block out the light because they really shouldn't stay up late.

I'm going back to Big Al's today. Might come back with a fish tank. I can't wait any longer and the old one is slowing down my goals. Really want that community tank set up soon.

But I've always wanted a corn snake so I think I'm going to use the old tank for a corn snake. If not, I'll just give it away to someone for free.

I'm so confused with this. Keep going back and forth on what I said but at this point, I have enough money so I'll buy the fish tank.

Once Silas is moved, I don't know what I'm going to put in the 5 gallon. Maybe use it for shrimp and plants?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Corn snakes are cool. My brother has one and she's very personable.

Is Big Al's a chain or privately owned? Privately owned fish shops can sometimes "find" good deals if you let them know your plans.
It's a chain I think. They have several locations in Canada, American, and the UK.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I got 3 types of plants for Silas. I'm not sure what to expect from them. They have little metal things holding them together on the roots but I didn't take it off.
15796587083951494737476628671112.jpg

Got a 40gallon breeder from Big Al's. No canopy because it was $60 and I didn't feel like spending any more money. Maybe I can make one from acrylic or glass?
15796588709503110071102243191845.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the metal things are weights and are supposed to stay on so the plants don't float.

Ooh, 40b is a nice size! Lots of fun. What do you have for a stand? For a top, you can get plexiglass at a hardware store, and most places will custom cut it for a fee.