Life's Betta With A Fish

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you keep the water level low enough that he won't be able to jump out?
No, it interferes with the heater. The heater is about 12 inches and the water has to be at a certain level for the filter as well.

I'm putting him in within the next two hours. Currently acclimating him.
15803497458184650517240260054923.jpg

Hopefully he doesn't eat the seeds or jumps out.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's just regular pool filter sand, right? Like if I go to Splash City and ask for filter sand, that's what they'll give me?

How much did you use to get what depth?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
That's just regular pool filter sand, right? Like if I go to Splash City and ask for filter sand, that's what they'll give me?

How much did you use to get what depth?
Yes, it's just pool filter sand but it's different from the normal kind you get. What's important is that it is inert and won't leach anything into the water. Silas hasn't been affected by it at all so it seems alright. I've also used it for around my anthuriums and they haven't been affect in any way by it either. With this particular one I have however, there are these black flaky stuff in it that don't mix with the sand itself. It often floats to the top when I'm washing the sand and when I'm using the gravel vacuum, a bunch of it gets sucked up. Other than that, it's perfectly fine.

I used about a whole bucket full to get it to the very bottom frame. I could have added more but I ran out. The tank was bigger than I anticipated and thought I'd only need a little sand but the bag is done. There was about 25lb left in the bag so I used around 30lb of sand alone... might be more.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
So what would I ask for?

I like the black bits, no worries there. As long as they aren't harmful.

I was thinking 100 pounds but maybe 50 would be OK? (60g tank, same footprint as a 55g; 12" x 48")
Ask for pool filter sand. There are different types but I don't know what kind is common in your area.

They aren't harmful as long as your fish isn't a huge sand eater. Silas picks them up but he always spits them out. Of course with any sand, there is risk of impaction but if your fish generally tend to leave the substrate alone, they'll be fine.

50lb should be okay for a 60 gallon. This type of sand is usually pretty cheap so if you need more, you can always go back and buy more! ;)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha! Well, I've heard they can be hard to get rid of when you want to, so probably he can't do too much damage. Bettas don't usually eat vegetation but I suppose pulling them up for fun is still an option!

Are those the common type of "aquarium carpet" like this?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
They look something like that. They're supposed to be glosso plants but people in the reviews have said not to trust the seller. I only paid $6 so I figured it was worth a shot. Plus, there were some positive reviews.

Silas is having the time of his life in the 40 gallon though so at least he's happy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finally baffled the can filter.
Little Red has always seemed ok with the water current from the outflow from the filter, but these past couple of days Big Blue was really struggling with it (I swap it from Red's side at night to Blue's side during the day). I tried moving the filter to a different side of his side of the tank, and he ended up hanging in a corner of his tank behind some plants and just stayed there all day, poor guy.

It's a couple pieces of plastic canvas sewing mesh trimmed to size, and secured with a long ziptie.

He's much happier now and feels comfortable enough that he's swimming all around, and has his tank back.

Attachments

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally baffled the can filter.
Little Red has always seemed ok with the water current from the outflow from the filter, but these past couple of days Big Blue was really struggling with it (I swap it from Red's side at night to Blue's side during the day). I tried moving the filter to a different side of his side of the tank, and he ended up hanging in a corner of his tank behind some plants and just stayed there all day, poor guy.

It's a couple pieces of plastic canvas sewing mesh trimmed to size, and secured with a long ziptie.

He's much happier now and feels comfortable enough that he's swimming all around, and has his tank back.
That's a really good idea! Betta fish aren't fond of strong current. Glad your little fighters are doing better now.

It's silly how the companies that make aquarium kits include a filter that is too strong for a small tank. For example, the Top Fin 5.5 gallon comes with a filter for 10 gallon aquariums. So even on the lowest setting, it still throws the water around so strong.

Where did you buy the mesh?