Life's Betta With A Fish

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted this to the betta fish forum already but in the meantime while I wait for replies, what on earth do you guys think this glass piece in the bottom is? There is water underneath it! The silicone job around it is shabby - as if someone tacked it on.
20191109_113737.jpg

Also, the black rim/boarder on the bottom came off too. Not sure if I should put those back on or discard of them. They don't seem to serve any purpose at this point because there is no silicone holding them onto the glass itself.
20191109_113746.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The black rim is mostly just there to cover any sharp edges of the glass / acrylic and to allow a lid to fit over the top more or less securely. You can put duct tape or some other similar tape over the edges if you decide to keep the tank and use it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
think this glass piece in the bottom is?
if it isn't to reinforce a crack or a leak, the other person might have needed a little height for an ornament or piece of equipment that they didn't want resting on the actual bottom...?

If you use it for fish, can you somehow ensure the water which is under that extra piece is clean, or doesn't come back into the tank?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
On the betta forum, I was told that someone probably tried to repair the tank and did a very poor job. I'm going to see if that glass piece is removable. Water is already under it and the silicone is coming off so...

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear that your suspicions were confirmed. Whoever sold that tank sounds very dishonest, if they knew you were buying it for fish, rather than reptiles or rodents.

I'd not trust that tank, based on what I see in the pictures and what you've said. It's not worth the lives of your future fish or the mess (not to mention yours and your family's distress).

You should see if there're any black friday deals - Petsmart Canada has been participating. I agree that 20 gallons would be enough to have variety and would make for a cheaper replacement tank.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give/sell it to someone for rodents or reptiles. Never let a tank go to waste :D. People WILL pay for dry tanks too, sometimes almost as much as for a watertight tank if it's a big one. Snakes need their space too! Just be clear that it won't hold water to avoid misunderstandings.

If Canadian Petco/Petsmart are doing Black Friday sales, they both are offering 50% off aquarium kits. I don't know if they're doing internet order/store pickup for the tanks, but around here there are usually some left in the afternoon so you shouldn't have to go out in the morning crowds.

Petco is also doing dollar-a-gallon on BF, in the US anyway, if you want one the same size.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On the subject of cycling a fish tank, which for anyone reading this who might be interested means to have healthy bacteria on a new filtration system so it filters out dangerous toxins, the brand Tetra has a product called Safestart that can help :)

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to Big Al's. They have so much stuff there, yikes! I'm exhausted. They even have seahorses which I didn't know was possible in Canada.

I saw some breeder tanks I didn't see online but the canopy cover is extra. I don't have that much money right now so I might have to put this project on hold? I'm not sure yet.

The breeder tank I wanted is $99.99 + tax so... $112.98.
The canopy cover is $60 + tax so... $67.80.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give/sell it to someone for rodents or reptiles. Never let a tank go to waste :D. People WILL pay for dry tanks too, sometimes almost as much as for a watertight tank if it's a big one. Snakes need their space too! Just be clear that it won't hold water to avoid misunderstandings.
Or someone might use the tank for a plant-only terrarium or as a greenhouse to hold potted plants in or some crafty project :)

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if you've already gotten a tank, but you should keep an eye out at Big Al's. My Big Al's made a mistaken and honoured it. The 20 Gallon Aqueon Deluxe Starter kits were $89.99 yesterday (regularly $189.99). It was supposed to be for Black Friday, but they were selling them anyway. I got one and the last one sold as I stood there.

These kits include the tank (made in the USA, which has become rare), the hood, a light that has a spot for an extra LED strip if you'd like live plants, a heater, a filter, a net, some food, water conditioner and other odds and sods. You basically need gravel and décor.

I know you'd like larger, but the 29 Gallons were equally reduced! They'd sold out of those before I got there, but maybe they'll get them in for the real Black Friday. Yours may even have them waiting in the back... It's a manufacturer sale (!), so the probability of them being at your Big Al's come Black Friday is high, unless we have the same one (Ottawa), because they weren't sure if they'd get more of them in this year.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I ended up with several do-overs where the first piece of aquarium equipment wasn't what I expected/didn't fit etc, but I got it right the second time around. Hoping things work out similarly, or better, for you :)

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, but my pregnant friend just got an axolotl as the size of her baby on her pregnancy app, so I just heard about it!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once spend half an hour playing with them at a reptile expo :D. But no experience other than that. They seem cool, and easy to care for. There's probably a forum for them too.