Lifelong heart murmur?

rrrager

kitten wrangler
Young Cat
Purraise
heyo, i keep making long winded posts because i keep finding things to be paranoid about in my cats and i like to over explain things 🙃

this one isnt exactly mine, but i did take care of her while living with my parents for the better part of 5 years. in the end tho, she's def my mom's baby. she lives in a separate apartment so i rely on my parents for observation.

her name is Hunnies, she recently turned 13yo, and as far as i know, she's had a lifelong grade 2 heart murmur. there was a good 9 or 10 year gap between her vet visits, but my mom's been aware since that first vet visit that she has a heart murmur.

now, i'm usually the one taking her to the vet (because i have all the carriers + experience, whoops) and our regular vet has said it's no cause for concern unless it moves up a grade, or her energy levels and appetite change. she's had what i think are minor seizures??? i've been told her tail droops in the air, she sort of freezes mid step, and tends to slowly fall onto her side. it's happened maybe once? twice? in the last 6 months since a different vet at the same place said her murmur went to a grade 3.

we havent had any testing or panels done because we were trying to save up for them, only to have the pandemic swing around and take our money. she's completely fine otherwise, loves her new food, maintains her low elderly energy, still headbutts and fiercely loves. she went deaf a couple years back, but figured it was part of her aging process. she was also never spayed, had a single litter of kittens who went to good homes.

i guess i'm wondering if anyone else has had cats with lifelong murmurs, if it impacted their cat's life, and what they did or did not do about it. i'd like to at least cross reference 🤔

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As discussed in the article Furballsmom Furballsmom shared with you, many of these cats are put on meds to help them and prolong their life as well. Any chance your vet would be willing to set up a payment plan so Hunnies could be checked out? Maybe one of the options discussed in this article?
5 Ways to Pay for Vet Costs

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rrrager

kitten wrangler
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the resources! like i said before, i definitely want to get a second opinion because when they detected her increased heart murmur, it was directly after a few very stressful weeks. shes otherwise healthy, but i worry. again, pandemic cutting hours n ways to get em checked out but i'm gonna set up some appointments tomorrow.

she's actually on a year long, monthly health plan (not quite insurance) that gives free office visits, two free in depth health evaluations, blood work, 1 x-ray, and routine vaccinations among other benefits. what they want to do is a panel to check her thyroid, i forget the exact terminology, for roughly $200 but i'll ask if they might take payment plans?? they really only list Care Credit + Embrace pet insurance, but the vets + vet techs are very understanding when it comes to how costly things can be.