Life Threatening Windchill

debbrilacy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new to this site. I live in Michigan where we are supposed to have windchills of -50 fahrenheit and actual temps of -15. I care for approximately 7 strays and ferals. Besides food and water, I have 2 heated houses on my deck, which are under my tarp covered patio table, and 4 straw filled bins made into shelter houses. Finally, we have a wood shed with a “doggie door” that is filled with a layer of about 6-8 inches of straw. Still, I am worried sick it’s not going to be enough. I wish I could bring them in, but I can’t. The ferals wouldn’t come in anyway, and I have 3 indoor cats. Can anyone assure me that they’ll be okay with the shelter provided? (Please!)

cathmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw someone else post a couple weeks ago saying their temps were -17 and they mentioned their stray kittens come out to eat and were playing. I don't recall what type of shelters they had but I don't think they were as well built and heated like yours are. I know it's hard not to worry, I am the same with mine. I did read where you should feed them more when its colder. Maybe, if it will help you not worry get up once or twice during the night and feed them a little canned food heated. When its cold I heat the canned for for 6 to 10 seconds (depending on how much food there is). I hope that helps. Let us know how they are doing.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I am new to this site. I live in Michigan where we are supposed to have windchills of -50 fahrenheit and actual temps of -15. I care for approximately 7 strays and ferals.
:hellosmiley: debbrilacy, welcome to TCS!

Yes, your shelter looks adequate and thank you for taking care of the strays and feral :clapcat:

As long as the shelter and the entrance and exits are shielded from the chilly winds, it's good to go. Just make sure that they have an escape route so that they don't feel trapped inside just incase they are attacked by stray dogs or get into fights while they are in the shelter.

Do post a photo of your set up as so that others may have an idea what it looks like and can model and modify their shelter for the strays and ferals in their community.

Please introduce yourself to The Catsite community here in new-cats-on-the-block.20. C ya around :thumbsup:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know the worry well. I had 3 feral cats the last time we had the Polar vortex. I had just added a heated shelter for them and during that bitter bitter cold they refused to use it. Ugh. Yet, they did just fine and survived. Outside feral cats are very resilient. They know how to find warmth and survive. The best thing you can do for them is to continue to care for them. Offer them plenty of wet food when you can. It's easier to digest and takes fewer calories to digest. They can save those calories for staying warm.

My thoughts are with you.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First let me say I'm SO happy you found this site and this forum. It's an absolutely WONDERFUL place to get info from other members (many who've also gone through almost anything you can think of - - so their answers and guidance come from experience!). No question's ever too dopey. :) And it's also full of lots of people with big shoulders to offer support and comfort when needed. So never be afraid to ask anything - - there are lots of people here for you!

Next let me say how wonderful it is that you're caring so much for these strays and ferals. Many won't make it through this level of cold - - and it takes people like you who care to help get them through this. So take just a minute out of worrying and pat yourself on the back for caring! Hubby and I (and our indoor kitties and 4 outdoor ferals) are in northwest Ohio so our weather's the same (bitter beyond belief!) - - - we feel your (and your kitties') pain/cold ---literally! And I know how you feel about wanting to bring them all in and feeling guilty - - - we had 6 rescues/failed fosters/1 ex-feral inside and 5 ferals outside that we TNR'd (plus many others we'd TNR'd to control a neighborhood colony). We lost 3 inside and 1 outside just w/in the past few years - - - and I keep wanting to bring the 4 outside in - - but my husband's the responsible one, so instead, we're making their lives outside as comfortable as possible (heated water bowl, shelters with heated pads, lots of straw, etc.- - all in the garage. So they're doing pretty well - - -but I still worry!!!!!!).

It sounds like you've done ALOT for them!!!!! But I can offer a few tips that perhaps you haven't heard....you might have heard/read them all - -- & I'm sure others will weigh in with advice.

The critical thing is that they're dry, out of the wind, have access to food and water (unfrozen), and have access to something to help them keep their body heat in - - which it sounds as though you've done - - so yeah for you AND them!

If their shelters aren't off the ground/deck - - raising them a tad will help. It's more critical if they're directly on the ground (thought the dog house might be), since cold ground can really suck the heat out of a shelter. Putting something like a few bricks under them is all it takes. Are the heated houses like these (in link below)? If so, we have 2 also -- you might consider adding some styrofoam insulation on each wall inside (we used the type that has a mylar heat reflecting sheet on one side, putting that side in so that it reflects their body heat back).

We have straw in all of our shelters - including those - so they can burrow in. You mention other bins - make sure they're as filled with straw as possible - - -but obviously with enough that they can burrow in easily. You also mention that you have the heated mats in some (or all?). Those REALLY help - - -they won't heat the shelter (as I'm sure you know), but they do help them stay warmer. The key is making sure the cats have almost direct contact with the mats as their body pressure makes the mats heat up. The pad's coverings need to be relatively thin so that they can feel the heat through the covering (ours are covered with the fake sheepskin covers that they come with - - we just check them periodically to make sure they're dry). Just make sure there's not so much straw in the shelter that it completely covers that warming mats.

It's great you've got the shelters under something so they can't get wet. I'd put another comforter or something heavy to block even more wind/cold on the table, and then cover it all with a tarp or something waterproof (I'm guessing it already us covered with that). We also add plexi "doors" to our outdoor shelters - - just plexi angled like an a-frame against the door and secured to the shelter - - then they can see out, but it blocks the wind and rain.

Lastly - - make sure they have access to water that doesn't freeze- and the easiest way is a heated water bowl. We provide hard food, but give them soft food in the AM and PM, warming it a tad so they get a little warmth in their tummies. And today we added a litterbox to the garage so they don't have to go outside at all really.

So - sorry SO long (I usually write novels, but this might be the longest - sorry!) -- -but I know how panicky you feel and I wanted to offer you any help - - and peace of mind - - - I could. Your guys will make it - - - they've got SO much more than most kitties out there!

And lastly - - I wanted to show you a picture that might set your mind at ease a tad. It's our little Flick - - the one TNR I mentioned we brought in years ago. She had appeared (and we TNR'd her) in 2012, and we couldn't believe she made it through the horrible winter of 2013, with very deep snow and lots of ice. Amazingly she survived - alone - (she has Cerebellar Hypoplasia, so she was shunned by her "family"), with only that cruddy first rubbermaid shelter we built (you can see the plexi "door"). Hubby would always shovel a path for her from her shelter to the food station. And she survived! At one point - all the snow was as tall as the snow at the left of the photo - - -when she walked down the path, you couldn't even see her tail! Several months later -- - after someone in our neighborhood began poisoning "those d#$@n cats" and we brought her inside. Now she's a lap cat who's the love of our lives.)

So know you've done well - - -and keep us posted!!!!

Flick in snow winter of 2013 smallest.jpg

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're experiencing a moderate effect of Polar Vortex for a few days. Tonight Temp will be 7, with the wind the real feel should be around -9.

As long as cats have somewhere away from the wind, snow and ice, I think it makes a huge difference in their survival rate.

I have an assortment of okay enough cat houses. None are heated. But all are covered from the elements.

3 tarps and a solar pool heating cover against the back of the house covering tables which are over the cat 'houses.'
Which are really just hellofresh boxes inside plated boxes with recycled blue denim as insulation and more wool insulation plus some straw.
They're all sitting on top of fomaular insulation and have reflectix wrapped inside and out
Lets just say the patio looks like it should be called Occupy Cats.

Honestly I don't even think the few ferals we have left even sleep in them much. But after feeding them, I know they like to hang out around them out of the wind.

Good luck to everyone staying warm enough this week. May the hygge be with you.

Last edited: